XenForo License Verification

XenForo License Verification 3.5.0

No permission to download
Xon updated XenForo License Verification with a new update entry:

3.4.1 - Maintenance update

• Add support to describe if a license is related to XenForo Cloud.
    • Previous versions work if domain matching and unique license requirements are disabled, but do not record if a license is linked to a XenForo Cloud subscription
  • For XenForo Cloud; Domain matching requirement and unique license requirement are disabled
    • Domain matching may return in the future depending on the XF's validation API.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
@Chris D with the recent update, it should now record if it is a cloud license and disable some problematic checks I don't have time to rewrite (unique license token when there is not always a license token)

Hi @Xon ,

When users enter their license details, they can be automatically added to a usergroup or as primary. But when the license verification states "Invalid", the first initially added usergroup will not get removed, can you fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Greetz,
Alex

I really don't recommend changing the primary user-group as the user-group change can't rollback unlike a secondary user-group change.

I will strongly consider removing the ability to change the primary user-group in a future update.

Last edited:
I really don't recommend changing the primary user-group as the user-group change can't rollback unlike a secondary user-group change.

My fix is I will remove the ability to change the primary user-group in a future update.
Thanks for your answer, but that didn't really answered my question.

When a user license verification is stated "Invalid", they stay in the same group as when their license was valid. But is there a possibility that if on the check the verification fails, they directly a being transferred to another usergroup?

The 'valid license group' is removed when the user is detected as having invalid license details. However, the add-on doesn't distinguish between not entering an XF license and having a known invalid XF license.

The 'valid license group' is removed when the user is detected as having invalid license details. However, the add-on doesn't distinguish between not entering an XF license and having a known invalid XF license.
Okay, is their a possibility to do that? Because now I have people registering all the time with an invalid license but still they get added to my Xenforo Licensed usergroup.

I assume that everyone who uses this add-on uses it to protect, a bit, their resources from "fraudulent" downloads : a member with a verified license is promoted to a user group that allows downloading of resources.

But maybe if we could shift this promotion it would allow the staff to have time to conduct a little investigation (check the IP, email address, behavior of the member) before he was promoted : I have a member (Turkish IP) who registered, and checked his license, only to upload translations and offer them on a Turkish nulled community.

I didn't have time to react. If the promotion had taken place after 24 hours or 12 hours it might have allowed me to avoid this. Do you think it is possible to integrate?
Thanks.

I assume that everyone who uses this add-on uses it to protect, a bit, their resources from "fraudulent" downloads : a member with a verified license is promoted to a user group that allows downloading of resources.

But maybe if we could shift this promotion it would allow the staff to have time to conduct a little investigation (check the IP, email address, behavior of the member) before he was promoted : I have a member (Turkish IP) who registered, and checked his license, only to upload translations and offer them on a Turkish nulled community.

I didn't have time to react. If the promotion had taken place after 24 hours or 12 hours it might have allowed me to avoid this. Do you think it is possible to integrate?
Thanks.
Fighting null releases is a never-ending battle that leads to nowhere. You are better off just not worrying about it much.

Reactions: Xon
Plus, this will catch fault positives where customers are using contractors or aren't the person who does the sysadmin work.

Reactions: ENF
I didn't have time to react. If the promotion had taken place after 24 hours or 12 hours it might have allowed me to avoid this.
You can achieve something like this with a work-around with a second user group for verified users:

On verification the user gets added to the first one, but in order to get access they need to get added to the second group as well (manually). Downside: If the user looses group one, they won't loose group two automatically. You would have to check that manually as well form time to time.

Another approach: You add a user automatic promotion for the second user group for all users who are registered for at least X days AND are member of the first one. That way no one can use "verified" privileges immediately after registration.

Indeed it is useless, my last 2 add-ons that I transferred to my forum with mandatory license verification are still already on nulled communities. It is hopeless. All that remains is to make them accessible via paid subscription, but honest people will have to pay for dishonest people...

Indeed it is useless, my last 2 add-ons that I transferred to my forum with mandatory license verification are still already on nulled communities. It is hopeless. All that remains is to make them accessible via paid subscription, but honest people will have to pay for dishonest people...
You will never prevent piracy whether the software is free or paid for. The pirates will simply club together to raise the cost of the software, then download it and null it, once done they will share it. It has been happening since the dawn of software and there is no solution to piracy. If the likes of Microsoft/Apple/Adobe etc cannot stop it, then you have even less chance.

You basically have to accept your software will be pirated but the honest customers out there will do the right thing.

You're overlooking the fact that to download anything from XenForo that you have a valid license (or be linked to one)... Which means that they could still pirate from XenForo and release on null sites.

I know of no approach that successfully combats piracy, closed garden or not. IPB has a system like what is being talked about in the linked post, and it still suffers from piracy.

Selling or releasing digital products comes hand in hand with theft, piracy and chargebacks. If you cannot handle dealing with those, you are not really cut out to be releasing products sad to say.

Selling or releasing digital products comes hand in hand with theft, piracy and chargebacks. If you cannot handle dealing with those, you are not really cut out to be releasing products sad to say.
Take it easy dear friend, no hasty conclusions... For the moment I am not selling anything, I am offering for free. Moreover, I only started offering my add-ons 15 days ago, so it's all new to me and it's normal for me to ask myself questions and seek answers.

I was not born yesterday and I know that digital is permeable to hackers and bad people who simply have bad intentions. But it's not because things are difficult to achieve that we should give up, okay we will never be able to completely solve this problem but working on it all the same is the least we can do. And between taking advantage of its license to distribute add-ons on nulled forums and hacking XenForo servers, there is a world!

And then we must not exaggerate either, digital business is not a sieve either, with the means we can largely slow down and even prevent the little Sunday hackers from doing anything. I remember a story where Apple refused to unlock an iPhone for the purposes of an FBI investigation and they took weeks and weeks to do so...

So I will continue to offer and one day sell add-ons and I will continue to annoy nulled forums and I will continue to look for solutions, if you have already given up on yourself.

If men gave up every time they encountered a difficulty, we would not have invented the wheel yet!

Top Bottom