XenForo is horribly slow

maxwolfie

I am having a lot of difficulty changing settings, making changes to templates etc. About half the time, saving a change will time out after 30 - 60 seconds, which drives me up the wall. Tonight I had to wipe my forum indirectly because of this problem.

I have shared hosting, but I never had this issue with phpBB for instance. I need a solution ASAP as I currently have a blank site as I don't want to put up with configuring things at less than snails pace.

We found setting the innodb buffer size in the MySQL config helped a lot but we're still struggling to get our setup anything near the performance we had from VB.

I am having a lot of difficulty changing settings, making changes to templates etc. About half the time, saving a change will time out after 30 - 60 seconds, which drives me up the wall. Tonight I had to wipe my forum indirectly because of this problem.
Contact your host.
Check your server logs.
I'm on shared hosting and the only time I had that was when one of the shared members was getting DDOS'd and was consuming all the CPU.

Are people actually experiencing the same problems I am having with time out problems?

My biggest worry is when it tries to purge the cache, refresh etc. It almost always stuffs up and once it resulted in a stuffed style.

I've only had XF for a week or two, I'll be getting a refund if these speeds are the norm. It's unusable.

Edit: As mentioned its a shared host (and one of the top ones at that) and the site is blank, so a URL is not going to help you.

I have shared hosting, but I never had this issue with phpBB for instance. I need a solution ASAP as I currently have a blank site as I don't want to put up with configuring things at less than snails pace.
maybe pop in on server configuration and hosting forums http://xenforo.com/community/forums/server-configuration-and-hosting.48/ ?

Are people actually experiencing the same problems I am having with time out problems?

My biggest worry is when it tries to purge the cache, refresh etc. It almost always stuffs up and once it resulted in a stuffed style.

I've only had XF for a week or two, I'll be getting a refund if these speeds are the norm. It's unusable.

Edit: As mentioned its a shared host (and one of the top ones at that) and the site is blank, so a URL is not going to help you.

I have a test installation with a fairly large database running on a shared hosting package and I've not experienced any problems of that nature. Response times for me are pretty instant, within a second. I've been working on it for months so if there was a software issue I'd have surely seen it by now.

I'd check that the hosting package you have meets the software minimum requirements and perhaps reinstall if you haven't already done so. It might also be worth checking the health of your internet connection, especially if you are on a wireless connection. I don't really know what your problem is but I do know it's certainly not the norm.

There's hundreds of customers using XenForo including http://boards.ign.com which is probably one of the biggest and busiest - this is not the norm.

People are assuming it's server, but what browser are you accessing it with?

If you PM me with details I'll happily take a look around the XenForo configuration and see if I can ascertain anything that might resolve the issue.

Trying to configure cache did not seem to work or make any difference so I'm still having problems. I'm at a complete standstill now until I get a solution. Basically, I don't see why this should be happening. I have shared hosting through StableHost, who are a very reputable hosting company. I have sent them off an email also, to try to determine what the issue is.

At the current time I can't do anything, trying to re-install XF is pointless, as if I try to install a new style or addon (such as XenPorta, the backbone of my site), the "Rebuilding caches" process simply takes forever and/or eventually times out.

My site is www.HackSlashRepeat.com

I need a solution ASAP!

EDIT: Here is the response from my shared host:

Hello,

I have checked your account and could see that the resource usage of your account was very high. Please refer that attached screen shot.

Since Cloud Linux is enabled in the server, whenever your resource usage goes high, your site and cPanel will be slow.

Cloud Linux is a new version of Linux which will limit the resource usage of each user. You can get more information on this at the URL "http://cloudlinux.com/".

In a Cloud Linux enabled server, each customer is assigned a definitive resource limit that prevents sudden resource spikes from taking down the entire server.

You need to contact your developer and optimize the databases, large images and codes to resolve the issue..

I suggest changing servers to get away from that resource cap. I have seen some virtual servers (which yours is) have serious performance problems due to this partitioning of resources. It can slow your site down a lot.

Your host has suggested that XenForo be modified to not cause load spikes. This isn't a reasonable solution. You should change servers.

They are a great host though, I would actually like to stay with them. They email back within 10-15 minutes generally and I have had no issues with them to date. I see XF as the problem here, rather than my host. It seems to be a pretty big resource hog.

In any case, I'll probably look at staying with them but upgrading to a better plan. I assume VPS is what I'm after? I'm paying $5.95 pr/mo at the moment.

http://www.mrnerd.com/vps.php

A VPS can work as long as you have enough resources allocated. Lack of resources is the current problem. It sounds like the cache rebuild is maxing your resource limit and causing everything to slow down. So you need a VPS with more resources, or perhaps a non-virtual server that doesn't have partitioning of resources.

Top Bottom