XenForo is horribly slow

maxwolfie

I am having a lot of difficulty changing settings, making changes to templates etc. About half the time, saving a change will time out after 30 - 60 seconds, which drives me up the wall. Tonight I had to wipe my forum indirectly because of this problem.

I have shared hosting, but I never had this issue with phpBB for instance. I need a solution ASAP as I currently have a blank site as I don't want to put up with configuring things at less than snails pace.

The other problem, it seems is that a managed VPS is very expensive (a lot more than I'm willing to pay). An unmanaged VPS is affordable however I don't have the know-how (or the time to learn) to be doing it all myself.

The other problem, it seems is that a managed VPS is very expensive (a lot more than I'm willing to pay). An unmanaged VPS is affordable however I don't have the know-how (or the time to learn) to be doing it all myself.

In that case you might consider what is usually called a "shared" server. Meaning a server that hosts multiple sites but does not have strict partitioning of resources like a VPS. Shared servers are always managed and cheap, though the performance can be unreliable sometimes.

So I've learned the hard way. I bought Fantatical VPS, 70GB for 14 a month. Real cheap but their wiki tutorial articles were incomplete and not noob-friendly so I had to drop em as I didn't have time to figure out ways around their server's own setbacks. If I had went with linode I wouldn't have had issues. smh. You get what you pay for.

I'm on shared hosting and have some problems too. Does your shared hosting allow you to use modifications like DigtalPoint's UserMap or even allow animated avatars to be displayed in the postbit? Those are two of the reasons why I wanted to switch to a VPS cause my host doesn't let me.

I'm on shared hosting and have some problems too. Does your shared hosting allow you to use modifications like DigtalPoint's UserMap or even allow animated avatars to be displayed in the postbit? Those are two of the reasons why I wanted to switch to a VPS cause my host doesn't let me.

Sorry mate, never heard of DigtalPoint's UserMap. However, I can assure you that they do allow animated avatars. Someone signed up the other day with one, I removed it as they drive some people crazy (I can see why).

Considering my shared host is running a CloudLinux system that caps resources per client, and knowing that I am hitting that cap, is there a way to throttle XenForo such that it takes longer for it to complete it's operations (particularly when it tries to rebuild it's caches), so that I won't overload the server and it won't timeout? Theoretically this may actually increase the speed?

For example, if XF needs to process 1000 items, and it usually processes 100 items per second, can I limit it to say 50 items per second? Just as an example...

Considering my shared host is running a CloudLinux system that caps resources per client, and knowing that I am hitting that cap, is there a way to throttle XenForo such that it takes longer for it to complete it's operations (particularly when it tries to rebuild it's caches), so that I won't overload the server and it won't timeout?

There is no such option.

You can put an interval in for the cache rebuild which might help as well as lowering the number to process at once.

Edit: This is if you're doing a manual rebuild of items such as the search index.

You can put an interval in for the cache rebuild which might help as well as lowering the number to process at once.

Edit: This is if you're doing a manual rebuild of items such as the search index.
It's not the manual rebuilds that are an issue (well, they would be, but I haven't even gotten that far!). It's the "forced" rebuilds when you install an addon, for example. They just never complete, therefore I can't install anything or really use the site at all.

There must be some way of optimising XF somehow, as the host rep said: "You need to contact your developer and optimize the databases, large images and codes to resolve the issue.."

Surely there is something that I could try? I am not savvy enough to really know, but I figured there might be some forms of compression or something that could be used.

I'm not 100% on hardware requirements of XenForo but based on the money you're paying with your host are you only running a VPS with 128MB of RAM?

That really doesn't seem very substantial.

I know you say you're on "one of the best" hosts. They might be. But $5 a month does not get you "one of the best" servers. But I'd also say that "one of the best" hosts is one that doesn't put some throttling software on your server.

It's not a VPS. It's a shared host (which is worse I think?). As mentioned, I can't afford a VPS. Nor do I believe that it's really the hosts problem, I am still convinced XenForo is more resource intensive. I believe this because phpBB ran absolutely flawlessly. As soon as I installed XF, I noticed a very obvious reduction in speed of page loading, general operations etc. I'm not trying to dump on XF, just trying to state what I think is fact.

"Stable" plan on this link.

Ask slavik the Server man.
The only time I've heard people complain about Xenforo speed is during
"forced" rebuilds
as you say.

After the rebuild ... it should be super fast.

If it is not super fast after that ... then I think it is a host problem ... as you say ... you are going over the host's limits.

XenForo exclusively uses InnoDB engine for its table data - you should ask your host to check your MySQL settings to ensure InnoDB is properly configured.

Top Bottom