Xenforo is amazing

ForumExplorer

Hey

So it took me almost forever to start using Xenforo as I always preferred the free software but I must say Xenforo is amazing compared to the free software. Even better than some of the other paid software.

It's so easy to use and has a lot of features even before you start adding add-ons.

Thank you to the developers and everyone who has taken part in developing the software and I look forward to using it from now on.

Ehhhh.. overall it's OK.. but it is still lacking in several areas, many of which have been suggestions for over a decade that have either been ignored or simply not responded to. Unluckily NO script is perfect. XF just happens to fit the bill better for what I need now, especially utilizing Bob's add-ons. If it wasn't for them, I'd probably be with IPS and using custom Pages configurations.

My biggest complaint is the reliance on 3rd party developers for many functions. Some of which should really be integrated into the base script.

Change disc... killjoy!
If referring to me... not a killjoy.. simply realistic. XF is a fine script... but it's still (after a decade) lacking in several areas for 1st party support. I realize that the developers would rather push much of that off onto 3rd parties... but when much of that 3rd party stuff is simply crap, it makes it hard in many ways to deal with the base script.

As I said, @Bob's add-ons are the saving grace for me... and honestly, a noticeably amount of what his does could be done with some creative developing in IPS Pages.... I simply prefer Bob's cleaner integration of features/functions. That way I don't have to either depend on my intelligence level to develop in Pages, nor do I have to depend on what would probably me multiple 3rd party resources to develop similar add-ons in Pages.

If referring to me...
Yes it's referring to you.
Your message about non-integrated suggestions, lack of functionality, etc... I think it went over well, we've read it several times all over the forum... So I was thinking that a newcomer who expresses his joy at discovering XenForo does not necessarily need your usual diatribe already.

It's just my opinion, nothing mean.

Last edited:
It's so easy to use and has a lot of features even before you start adding add-ons.

Thank you to the developers and everyone who has taken part in developing the software and I look forward to using it from now on.
And it keeps on getting better. Good luck with your forum !

Yes it's referring to you.
Your message about non-integrated suggestions, lack of functionality, etc... I think it went over well, we've read it several times all over the forum... So I was thinking that a newcomer who expresses his joy at discovering XenForo does not necessarily need your usual diatribe already.

It's just my opinion, nothing mean.
Reality is not a diatribe. ANYONE needs to know both the warts and the beauty of something. Why should one try to hide issues. We ALL recognize them as they come up later... it's simpler to address issues at the start. XF is a great script... but sorry, it's not the world winning, all encompassing end-all be-all that some rah-rah people may want to purport. It definitely has it's weaknesses.
You see, I don't tend to blow smoke up peoples ass.
NOTHING is perfect.

Last edited:
Xenforo is great software, however, is bit falling with 2+ years with nothing offered to customers. Is really good and easy to build a simple platform, and you have access to a lot of great styles from @ThemeHouse @Russ (example).

However, I would choose other software if I were to build a community. I believe in today's ages, you gotta offer more than just a typing script.

An other good thing about XenForo is that you do have access to lots of addons too. But in 2 years running a forum I've learned, that relying on 3rd party addons, isn't an ideal. As developers they come and go, which leaves you with unmaintained addons, and could cost you more to update by hiring someone.

But yes, good luck with your forum.

Last edited:
That's what we call real killjoys pure and hard! On Christmas day you open your present, you are delighted with it, but just a few minutes later the old uncle comes to ruin everything by listing its faults... As if he couldn't wait a few days... No, he has to open his big killjoy mouth right away...

Was the purpose of this discussion to list XenForo issues and flaws? No it was just a guy who wanted to tell everyone he was happy with his purchase... But that was without counting on the old uncles that everyone avoids inviting to parties because he always ruins everything.

He's not stupid, @CatdogNZ, he will make up his own mind and if he has questions he will ask them and then you can give it your all.
Welcome to the XF community mate !

I love XenForo and am happy to be part of this community. I appreciate the work of the developers who release amazing add-ons and translations to the community, and even dedicate their OWN free time to help others here. XenForo is so stable, organized, and cutting-edge that once it's launched, it seems to run itself, and you don't have to do anything but focus on the content. While there may be complaints about certain functionalities, I think it's excessive and unconstructive to tarnish every thread by trying to denigrate a software that has made and continues to make history in online communities.

As forum software, I think Xenforo is second to none. I find a lot of the gaps people find are in trying to push beyond that model. Would it be a terrific CMS with some serious work? Sure. But it is pretty clear on the tin that it is forum software and it does not pretend to be more. And it does forums much better than any other software I have used.

I find a lot of the gaps people find are in trying to push beyond that model.
So it all comes down to peoples' perceptions of what it is supposed to be.

And I agree it is supposed to be forum software, and it does forums very well indeed and I believe it is definitely the leader in that field - speaking both as admin and user of several forums.

So it all comes down to peoples' perceptions of what it is supposed to be.
I think so. I am mainly looking for forum software that can also do some content delivery (I have blog-type pages going for a few members just using out-of-box article forums with some format tinkering), which it already does incredibly well. But for those focussing more heavily on content delivery as a way to beef up their forums, there's clearly some gaps based on the conversations around here.

It's amazing what Xenforo can do with a little imagination and some help from some CSS changes. Content delivery is possible without a CMS using the built-in article thread type. I've just relaunched my Spiritual site (which may not be for everyone) and the link provided below shows what Xenforo can do in terms of offering a pseudo CMS.

Top Bottom