1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenforo Installation Directory Best Practices

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by JK Maken, Oct 16, 2012.

1. JK Maken

JK Maken New Member

Hello, I'm new here. Just bought my first Xenforo license. I want to integrate Wordpress with Xenforo using a SSO plugin (yet to be sourced. suggestions?) in the future (not immediately). Which is the best practice for installing Xenforo for now? Which one is it?
    Thanks!

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Entirely up to you, though probably not www.mydomain.com because no doubt you will want people to hit your homepage first, rather than your forum.

The danger is if you use www.mydomain.com now and then move it to /forum later then all of your URLs will change and will probably mess up your search ranks.

3. JK Maken

JK Maken New Member

Thanks Chris.

But if I were to use a subdomain, would it affect my Wordpress to Xenforo integration later on?

4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'm not a fan of subdomains anyway.

Maybe avoid that one too.

5. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Subdomains can affect cookie scope which can be relevant for login integration. If the two applications are to share cookies then it's probably best that they are on the same domain.

Chris D likes this.