1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xenForo incoming mail

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Requests' started by masterchief, Oct 3, 2014.

1. masterchief

masterchief Well-Known Member

This addon would involve forwarding incoming mail via piping to server side script.
    • php script processes message text
    • interface with xenForo to process tasks
    • concept of using piping to server side script essentially presents instantaneous process
    anybody interested???

2. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I've been interested in making something like this for a while, just never had the encouragement...

Nor the relevant API's (until I recently discovered they were added to XF 1.4).

What tasks would it process...?

Liam

3. masterchief

it would involve the creation of primary module fused with XF core to be able to process incoming email message via server side script
    • I would like to start with server side script that parse text from incoming email message
    • based upon message text, module performs some function utilizing database.
    on my server, I would setup email forwarder to pipe email to server side script anytime message is addressed to MyNewMedia@mydomain.com for example
    • script must already exist on the server
    • there must exist live process within xenForo to accept results from the script (basically the script is activating module functions)
    • so you get realtime performance from piping email to the script rather than resorting to a POP3 service which would require polling a mail queue on regular basis (CRON job?)
    Everytime that you added a new video to your youtube channel, you could send email message (another automated task?) to your system addressed to MyNewMedia@mydomain.com where the message being piped to MyYoutubeChannel.php script would
    alert the incomingmail module to handle including the video to your configured gallery configuration.

what tasks can you think of??
    a customer support ticketing system also comes to mind

~peace

4. masterchief

another possibility is perform forum searches via incoming message, responding with email reply providing results
    anybody think of other process/tasks that are suitable for this concept?