XenForo in temporary server directory

BassMan

Hello XenForo community!

I'm new here and thinking of migrating from phpBB to XenForo.

But I have a question. I don't want to delete my board in phpBB (yet), but I want to install XenForo to configure the system first (and need to translate whole board, because my language isn't available).

My current phpBB board is installed in forum directory. How can I for example temporary install XenForo to xenforo directory and after all the configuration is done, delete the phpBB board in forum directory and move XenForo to that place?

Is that possible and what do I have to configure?

The point is my phpBB board is installed on a subdomain forum.mysite.com and I want the XenForo to be on that subdomain too.

Thanks in advance for all support.

Regards,
mladiucitelj

So it's ok to install XenForo to a temp directory, configure and translate it, then import phpBB to XenForo, move files from temp dir to my forum directory on server.

Can I ask for help when needed on how to configure XenForo in that new directory to work on subdomain forum.mysite.com?

Sorry, but I have to be sure, not familiar with this stuff too much...

Your forum URL is set when you install XenForo. You will need to update this once you move the files from one location to another. The process is simple if you'd like to move it at a later date.

Oh, ok. Thank you. I have to re-think all of it and maybe I'll buy a licence. Tried a demo and this XenForo software is really great.

Btw, when I buy a 1-year licence and after that year do I have to renew it on time or for example can renew it after 2 years and all will be working fine till then, after that I will be able to update software normally etc.?

You purchase a lifetime license, but renew whenever you want. You can only purchase extensions one year at a time. Purchasing a renewal keeps your ticket support and new releases available to you.

If you don't renew you can only download the latest version when your license expired.

I did something similar with a vBulletin --> XenForo conversion after the XenTag mod hiccuped & didn't import my thread tags.

I made the old vBulletin/vbSEO version continue to work for me by changing their paths and mapping an alternate domain name to those directories. They whined about being unlicesed copies but continued to work while I manually copied the tags (fortunately there weren't very many).

Since phpBB is open source, licensing won't be an issue if you do something like that.

Ok, I've just purchased the software and resource manager.

What is the best way not to complicate too much to get xenforo work on my current domain forum.myste.com, where hte phpBB is running already.

I was thinking of moving the phpBB to a subdomain and instal xenforo to forum subdomain. Or it doesn't matter if I install it on temporary subdomain, make all the translations, importing, configurations and when finished, moved it to my wanted subdomain. Maybe that last one is the best, that I do not confuse my members on phpBB board.

I would love to hear your oppinions.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
mladiucitelj

Installed. Can I import from phpBB now and later configure and translate the the site? (I won't create any posts categories etc.)

When everything will be finished can I update the database with latest database form phpBB?

Ok. Translating here I come :)

Btw, can you tell me what to do after imports and redirects - what to configure when moving site to forum folder?

And about redirecting - I've read about Redirecting URLs, but haven't seen the script for phpBB.

Top Bottom