XenForo in IE6

Ahmed

I didn't see any complainants about XenForo bugs in IE6. :D
Well, for me I don't care about IE6 as I'm going to use XF in a new site. So I won't be worried about losing existing users/visitors.

Has anyone checked XF using IE6? :p

I do have IETester. I also do have a PC runs on XP with IE 6, I just don't want to bother to use IE 6 at least now.

I didn't see any complainants about XenForo bugs in IE6. :D
Well, for me I don't care about IE6 as I'm going to use XF in a new site. So I won't be worried about losing existing users/visitors.

Has anyone checked XF using IE6? :p

on monday, Im worked in my company after holidays. Then I can test xF on IE6

I tested it the last 1 1/2 weeks with IE6 and most of the forum works fine, but sometimes in another war just like the timestamp. Normaly you got "a moment ago, 2 minutes ago" and so on, in IE6 you only see a date.

Well the good news is IE6 now has usage levels under 50%, IIRC. IE7 and IE8 are finally working to kill it off. And I imagine that the impending release of IE9 will also eventually take down IE7's usage.

I would assume that XenForo's stance on IE6 is not to intentionally break functionality on it but also not go out of their way to make everything work with it.

I think we're cursed to have IE6 forever and ever. It just seems it still can't die. Maybe once Windows 10 is out.

Ugh, IE6. Nightmares.

If Google stopped actively developing to support IE6, I see no reason why anyone else should.

IE6 == the pile of dog poo you step in on the way to your door. Though you scrape and scrape, the smell just lingers on... and on... and on. ;)

Susan and I hate IE6 with a passion, the sheer amount of time trying to make things work in it was sickening. We finally just said the heck with IE6 compatibility about a year ago. We refuse to enable such a horrible dependence any longer. We politely suggest that IE6 users upgrade :).

I think we're cursed to have IE6 forever and ever. It just seems it still can't die. Maybe once Windows 10 is out.

It will die with Windows XP. But the problem is Microsoft keeps extending support for XP... It's now supported all the way to 2020!

The problem is that enterprises have ancient applications that require IE6... And this is all very recent, and most of those same enterprises have only now upgraded from MS-DOS or Windows NT 4.0. But while IE6 will be around for a long while, most individuals have long moved to at least IE7 or an alternative browser.

It will die with Windows XP. But the problem is Microsoft keeps extending support for XP... It's now supported all the way to 2020!

That is just ridiculous. I'd personally do not support people who visit any site of mine with IE6, so it's not something that worries me on the development side.

Yeah, IE6 sucks. But still, there are some people using it. In My current site there are about 20 - 25% of my users who still use IE6. And that is one of the reasons I didn't upgrade to vB4 yet. And if XF does not support IE6 then I won't consider switching my current vB 3.8 to XF.
But I'll be using XF in a new site so I won't worry about losing any existing users/visitor as they will know the should upgrade their browsers to to view the site correctly.

Yeah, IE6 sucks. But still, there are some people using it. In My current site there are about 20 - 25% of my users who still use IE6. And that is one of the reasons I didn't upgrade to vB4 yet. And if XF does not support IE6 then I won't consider switching my current vB 3.8 to XF.
But I'll be using XF in a new site so I won't worry about losing any existing users/visitor as they will know the should upgrade their browsers to to view the site correctly.

XF does work in IE6. It may not be perfect but good enough, so you don't have to worry. :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5737791/xenforo-ff4-ie6.jpg

Left: Firefox 4 Beta 2, Right: Internet Explorer 6
xenforo-ff4-ie6.jpg
xenforo-ff4-ie6.jpg

Xenforo looks and works perfectly in IE6. I am typing this in IE6, there are no misaligned DIVs, no irritating horizontal bars, no out of place drop down menus, everything works perfectly. In fact the only difference from a modern browser is the png images and css rounded corners :)

It's really amazing XF is so easily downgrading to older browsers because I can imagine how much pain it is to make a site IE6 compatible. Compared to this VB4 after 8 months of going Gold still looks crap in IE6.

Thanks for feedback everyone.
Now I'm only wondering if Kier and Mike have considered IE6 while building XF, or it's just all happened by incident?

Top Bottom