Xenforo Gallery Options - Xen Media Gallery Vrs XenGallery

tajhay

Has anyone tried both of these options? Just looking for an objective Pros/Cons between the two on what others found when deciding between the two.

@sonnb XenGallery $50USD LINK
@Chris Deeming Xen Media Gallery $40 GBP

Both are amongst the top developers on here and both seem to be great addons on their own rights. If you had the money, which would you choose?

Im looking into both right now and just cant choose. Both look great. Perhaps the only reason why i might lean towards xengallery is that it looks probably a little bit more modern and costs around 30% less than xen media gallery. But then again Chris seems to be working on a big update as well.

Did you go through the same debate? Which did you choose and why? Or perhaps you have used both and lean towards one of the products? Id love to hear any views that might sway me to either direction and should be helpful to others in the same boat.

I have both. I let my members judge and they preferred XenGallery. I'm sure XMG 1.3 will be even more awesome once it has user albums tho.

Both are currently not comparable.

XenGallery is a traditional picture album product, very mature and very recommendable.

XMG allows your users to upload and present pictures and videos, but no organization of them in albums etc.

However both developers have promised to bring the same feature level to their products soon (XMG will add albums, XG will add video uploading), so it really will be a choice which styling you like most. I prefer the more modern and more picture centric styling of XG.

Chris and sonnb, both work on a large update. So, I think both development circles are more than okay. ;-)

Thanks guys. @Chris Deeming your addon costs 30% more than sonnb. Im not questioning what you are charging but rather if you wanted to justify reasons why it costs 30% more when a) the other addon looks more modern b) as mentioned above and and confirmed by you that your product dev has been slow compared to the other addon. Are there additional features in your addon that justifies the additional cost? Also are you planning on changing the look of it or is there a thread that highlights new features coming in the new version?

Thanks guys. @Chris Deeming your addon costs 30% more than sonnb. Im not questioning what you are charging but rather if you wanted to justify reasons why it costs 30% more when a) the other addon looks more modern b) as mentioned above and and confirmed by you that your product dev has been slow compared to the other addon. Are there additional features in your addon that justifies the additional cost? Also are you planning on changing the look of it or is there a thread that highlights new features coming in the new version?

Not goanna speak for Mr. Deeming, I'm just going to state that of these new galleries (both great btw and well worth the price imo) Mr. Deemings was first to market, so with being first you set the price as there is nothing else to compare with this type of quality gallery. Second his came out the box with videos and pic integration, which is a big deal for quite a few of us. Third there is no branding removal fee for his gallery as there isn't any.

Lastly there's still plenty of goodies coming for 1.3 and yes I wish it was out yesterday in this instant gratification age of wanting all things now, but I know he's been working hard on it and it's going to be great with many new features, some he's revealed, others of which he'll post when its close to release for 1.3 on xenmediagallery.com. To me its well worth the price and both addons are great with great supportive Devs so you cant go wrong,it's like choosing between apple/samsung phones to each his own.

Thanks for the information @samo. Appreciated as i didnt know the history and thought they both came up at the same time. Agree that they are both quality developers and both quality products in their own right.

Edit - Just went to the xenmediagallery.com and noticed that most of the stuff(user tagging, importers from xfr albums which i use etc) slated for 1.3 release is already in XenGallery despite it coming into the scene later.

I think ive made up my mind as to which one is right for me :)

I plan on purchasing xen gallery from sonnb because I adore the layout but held back because what i like about chris's is that it supports video (which I hear is coming in sonnb gallery) at which point I will be purchasing that. That being said, both galleries are good and well supported by both developers but for me when sonnb gallery supports video that will be the deciding factor that pips it for me.

:)

That isn't even relevant here. That is about a server error that is thrown if a bot is detected and that bot has input an e-mail address longer than 250 characters. It is low priority because a) the add-on still works b) the error isn't even shown to users and c) the add-on is a free add-on that naturally has to take less of a priority when I have paid customers waiting for a new and improved Gallery to be released.

:)

That isn't even relevant here. That is about a server error that is thrown if a bot is detected and that bot has input an e-mail address longer than 250 characters. It is low priority because a) the add-on still works b) the error isn't even shown to users and c) the add-on is a free add-on that naturally has to take less of a priority when I have paid customers waiting for a new and improved Gallery to be released.

Sorry, Chris, I wrote about @sonnb:
Hard working guy,
Any problem? You can ask him and soon you will have the solution.

I'm not going to carry on defending myself. I don't have to. I am also hard working and provide solutions to many problems very quickly. Prioritisation of workload means that some things naturally take longer than others. I'd politely request that you stop casting doubts upon my professionalism compared to another developer.

It isn't fair and no developer is perfect.

I'm not going to carry on defending myself. I don't have to. I am also hard working and provide solutions to many problems very quickly. Prioritisation of workload means that some things naturally take longer than others. I'd politely request that you stop casting doubts upon my professionalism compared to another developer.

It isn't fair and no developer is perfect.
Please read my post again, Chris.
I did not compare you with another developer, I simply wrote my opinion about that developer.
You are the one who's made the comparison:
Also true of me, in fact.

And the comparison is accurate.

Your further points were not accurate nor relevant, however.

Top Bottom