Xenforo Gallery Options - Xen Media Gallery Vrs XenGallery

@sinucello - Have you seen the editor button in xenmediagallery 2.1?

Insert media into forum post (editor button). Insert from forum post to gallery.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Worth noting: There's no feature (currently) to insert from a forum post into the gallery.

This new feature just makes it easier to share your existing media that is in the gallery in a forum post.

But, yes, it's pretty cool :)

Sacha,

Like you (and vast numbers of others I think) I am using PhotoPost at present. In my case with XF as I already changed over from VB. PP works even better with XF than it does with VB.

I like your thoughts on adding images to messages.

Like you and many others my main need is a PhotoPost importer, and I have been waiting a long time for something suitable to seem to be available.

Last time I checked it was perhaps possible to import parts of a PP install.. but not the member albums, private and public. Until there is a fully working version that brings over all the info/images/albums I can't see a way to test out a change of software. I have 31,000 images in hundreds of categories, and 106 member created albums. XMG is the one I hope to eventually be able to try out.

Steve

I went with sonnb's XenGallery for three reasons:

1. I liked the look
2. I have his spam addon and it has been great
3. A bit lower cost

I did have a problem upon install which was my fault. The support I got in resolving it was over the top great.

I have had no personal experience with Chris' products but they also sound like a winner.

I have a copy of Chris' because it was the only option at the time, and also because it follows the XenForo style. Masonry is fine, however it doesn't always properly work. Infinite scroll is nice, however it doesn't always create the most accessible or usable interface.

I would rather have something I know is going to not require additional work on my part when I do a custom style for my own forum (especially as all of my personal sites tend to use experimental designs that aren't easy to support) than one that will require additional support.

I have both, like both, and use both. -----> Different sites, different reasons.

I'm actually glad there are two now, as each pushes the other. Had their only been one, well, that might have slowed down the need to develop it further in a certain timeframe. As it stands, customers of both are benefiting greatly because both dev's are continually implementing things to make their gallery better.

I actually hope with each "paid" add-on, eventually someone creates some competition for it.

I chose Xen Media Gallery after a week or so of returning to look at each add ons features and ease of use. I chose Xen Media Gallery as it handled both Images and Videos and it had every extra that i think a forum needs from ratings to tagging to sharing etc. It seems to me that only you can pick which is correct for your needs. I personally am very happy with my choice though. Great support, friendly community, flawless install, great layout. Well thought out add on from top to bottom.

GREAT ideas Sacha. I hope somebody can produce them some day

Hi,
I`m currently using vB with Photopost and started migrating to XF. There are about 21K pictures in the gallery so it`s important to have categories. What I`m missing in both galleries is a category-tree like the one in PhotoPost. I really like the more modern look of the new products but if you have a lot of pictures it would be nice to have a more structured overview in addition to just a nice presentation of new pictures.

The biggest problem with my current gallery is the process of adding images and connect those images to forum posts. A lot of my users are unable to open more than one browser window and copy links. So it would be great if they could either upload media and have a "create new thread with this media" and "add this media to an existing thread" option. Or the other way round: If they create a new thread/post, they can either browse their already uploaded media and connect it to the thread or upload media to the galery right in the create thread dialogue . This is what I would call real integration and it is missing in Photopost for ages.

Someone created a custom add-on for me that allows users to post the link to a thread in the description field of the images. The script then extracts the picture ID and the thread ID and links them together in a database-table. If someone opens a thread in my forum, the script will look up the thread-ID and check if there are any images connected to it. The connected pictures will then be displayed on top of the thread. This way postings don`t get cluttered with images which is a good thing but it`s way too complicated for some users to copy the link of a thread and paste it in the photo description.

I hope that the new products here will some day have this kind of seamless integration and user-friendliness. If I`d have to make a choice now, I`d choose the product that has a PhotoPost importer.

Sacha

I chose Xen Media Gallery after a week or so of returning to look at each add ons features and ease of use. I chose Xen Media Gallery as it handled both Images and Videos and it had every extra that i think a forum needs from ratings to tagging to sharing etc. It seems to me that only you can pick which is correct for your needs. I personally am very happy with my choice though. Great support, friendly community, flawless install, great layout. Well thought out add on from top to bottom.
Glad to hear it - Video is essential for my community - So I'm going with XMG as well. :)

Thanks - I must have missed it... I will check out XenGallery again..

Since I got my information from the original post on XenGallery which said

"It is time for you to start using a modern Album Photo Gallery - XenForo Gallery. With nice layout and modern functions, you would make your users happy."

I would change that to modern Album-Video Photo Gallery and add the video component to the list below. I'll bet a lot of people stop at the description.

I would like to do one of two things - display only video's of my choosing in a widget on a Forum sidebar - or display recently submitted video's in a widget sidebar. Is that possible with XenGallery?

Thanks - I must have missed it... I will check out XenGallery again..

I would like to do one of two things - display only video's of my choosing in a widget on a Forum sidebar - or display recently submitted video's in a widget sidebar. Is that possible with XenGallery?
Ask it on appropriate thread.

And what thread would that be?

If this is a discussion about which add-on to choose - why are questions about which features they provide not appropriate here? And where are they appropriate?

And what thread would that be?

If this is a discussion about which add-on to choose - why are questions about which features they provide not appropriate here? And where are they appropriate?
Ah, Very sorry.
I thought this is the thread of Xen Media Gallery of Chris D.

Top Bottom