XenForo ES

MattW

At what point does a site benefit from having ES installed?

I'm just under 230,000 posts, but have 2GB ram spare on the VPS I have.

Would I really see a benefit from ES? A lot of members actively use the search, so any improvements would be welcomed.

How long does a typical search take?

If it's more than a second then ES will likely be faster. Our searches were taking 3 or 4 seconds to complete but with ES they're pretty much instantaneous.

Strictly speaking, any site will benefit from ES by getting rid of MySQL's limitations and stopword list. (Obviously you can change these, but then you'll start running into performance issues sooner.)

How long does a typical search take?

If it's more than a second then ES will likely be faster. Our searches were taking 3 or 4 seconds to complete but with ES they're pretty much instantaneous.
If I search for a fairly common word, such as Astra, the on screen loading on the first search seems to take around 2 seconds to come back with the results.

Strictly speaking, any site will benefit from ES by getting rid of MySQL's limitations and stopword list. (Obviously you can change these, but then you'll start running into performance issues sooner.)
Thanks Mike, off to the customer area I go

I particularly like the stemming capability - catches a few more results than the default absolute MySQL word searching, making the results a bit more useful to us mere mortals. :D

Top Bottom