XenForo Enhanced Search

Adam Howard

So I'm possibly looking into purchasing XenForo's Enhance Search.

Would like people's pros and cons from having done so (please and thank you in advance).

Pro: Search Results are better :)

Cons: You have to install it :)

If you have a very large forum, it will also give you faster search results. But for most communities, the great advantage is the increased quality on search results. The latest beta available here even improves the quality of search results.

How did this affect your VPS / Dedicated resources?
Did this affect your page load time?

It won't effect your page load times, if anything on pages which use the search it will make them quicker.

It uses Java backend, but on a small forum the impact on server resources is minimal.

I'm probably going to end up getting it for my Linux site as I see that being the most likely for it to be beneficial on (if the forum ever takes off). Only thing is I have to wait till that site license renewal comes due (even though I've prepaid it) so that it all comes due at the same time. It's only about a month left till then and I'm not going to do like I did with the RM and pay full price for it and then 3 months later pay the renewal fee for the license. Basically cheated myself out of 9 months of license utilization. :)

So for those of you who have this on more than one site... What would say you would be a fair estimate on resource usage overall that you personally experienced? ... ie... +1%, 2%, ect... Looking for an "average" that you, personally experienced to compare.

Also did you find this had any conflicts with any other add-ons that you may have used?

Don't have MySQL as i'm not going to go and rebuild a 1.5M post index waste of space :)

Documents:
1,552,775 (432.4 MB)
Index Updates:
1,949 (0.0206 seconds average)
Searches:
31,485 (0.1984 seconds average)
Fetches:
24,090 (0.1778 seconds average)

The only major cons I can think of is RAM consumption since it's based Java. Everything else is great about ES (well, except for not supporting some languages in terms of features, but you shouldn't care for that).

Just upgraded my ES:
Version:
Documents:
494,791 (152.5 MB)
Index Updates:
131 (0.0035 seconds average)
Searches:
4,665 (0.0013 seconds average)
Fetches:
1,599 (0.0004 seconds average)

The only major cons I can think of is RAM consumption since it's based Java. Everything else is great about ES (well, except for not supporting some languages in terms of features, but you shouldn't care for that).
Estimated, how much ram increase did you think you took on?

What do you mean by language support lacking?

Estimated, how much ram increase did you think you took on?

What do you mean by language support lacking?
It's about 1GB RAM per 1M posts.
About languages, the stemming analyzer is supported by 10 languages and that's it. You can still search in any language and you'll get results, but the results would be the same quality as with MySQL search (except that you can search things with less than 3 characters).

It's about 1GB RAM per 1M posts.
About languages, the stemming analyzer is supported by 10 languages and that's it. You can still search in any language and you'll get results, but the results would be the same quality as with MySQL search (except that you can search things with less than 3 characters).
You would not by chance know what those 10 languages are, would you?

It won't effect your page load times, if anything on pages which use the search it will make them quicker.

It uses Java backend, but on a small forum the impact on server resources is minimal.
I've read it requires a dedicated or VPS server. I'm on shared one. Is it possible to use it anyway? Are there likely to happen server errors because of it?

Another question: if my language is not included in ES - is there a point to use it?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Top Bottom