1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XenForo Enhanced Search

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Adam Howard, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

So I'm possibly looking into purchasing XenForo's Enhance Search.

Would like people's pros and cons from having done so (please and thank you in advance).

2. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

Pro: Search Results are better :)

Cons: You have to install it :)

If you have a very large forum, it will also give you faster search results. But for most communities, the great advantage is the increased quality on search results. The latest beta available here even improves the quality of search results.

SneakyDave likes this.
  3. Adam Howard

How did this affect your VPS / Dedicated resources?
    Did this affect your page load time?

4. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It won't effect your page load times, if anything on pages which use the search it will make them quicker.

It uses Java backend, but on a small forum the impact on server resources is minimal.

5. eva2000

eva2000 Well-Known Member

Enhanced Search needs to be combined with Digitalpoint's addon https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/digital-point-search.1772/item to extend searching features :)

Using this combo on my new forums :)

6. Slavik

Don't forget using Enhanced Search regardless enables a variety of additional features not provided by standard MySQL search,

eva2000 likes this.
  7. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to end up getting it for my Linux site as I see that being the most likely for it to be beneficial on (if the forum ever takes off). Only thing is I have to wait till that site license renewal comes due (even though I've prepaid it) so that it all comes due at the same time. It's only about a month left till then and I'm not going to do like I did with the RM and pay full price for it and then 3 months later pay the renewal fee for the license. Basically cheated myself out of 9 months of license utilization. :)

8. Adam Howard

So for those of you who have this on more than one site... What would say you would be a fair estimate on resource usage overall that you personally experienced? ... ie... +1%, 2%, ect... Looking for an "average" that you, personally experienced to compare.

Also did you find this had any conflicts with any other add-ons that you may have used?

9. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

I have 41 addons, and no conflict at all :)

Adam Howard likes this.
  10. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

eva2000 and Adam Howard like this.
  11. Adam Howard

So can anyone give me a side by side on database queries with this enabled vs not enabled (via debug mode)?

12. Slavik

Don't have MySQL as i'm not going to go and rebuild a 1.5M post index waste of space :)

Documents:
    1,552,775 (432.4 MB)
    Index Updates:
    1,949 (0.0206 seconds average)
    Searches:
    31,485 (0.1984 seconds average)
    Fetches:
    24,090 (0.1778 seconds average)

Adam Howard likes this.
  13. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

The only major cons I can think of is RAM consumption since it's based Java. Everything else is great about ES (well, except for not supporting some languages in terms of features, but you shouldn't care for that).

Adam Howard likes this.
  14. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Just upgraded my ES:
    Version:
    Documents:
    494,791 (152.5 MB)
    Index Updates:
    131 (0.0035 seconds average)
    Searches:
    4,665 (0.0013 seconds average)
    Fetches:
    1,599 (0.0004 seconds average)

Adam Howard likes this.
  15. Adam Howard

Estimated, how much ram increase did you think you took on?

What do you mean by language support lacking?

16. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

On a forum with a one million posts, the default search can take anywhere from one to ten seconds. Using Enhanced Search the same search takes milliseconds.

17. Moshe1010

It's about 1GB RAM per 1M posts.
    About languages, the stemming analyzer is supported by 10 languages and that's it. You can still search in any language and you'll get results, but the results would be the same quality as with MySQL search (except that you can search things with less than 3 characters).

Adam Howard likes this.
  18. Adam Howard

You would not by chance know what those 10 languages are, would you?

19. Moshe1010

Adam Howard likes this.
  20. BassMan

BassMan Well-Known Member

I've read it requires a dedicated or VPS server. I'm on shared one. Is it possible to use it anyway? Are there likely to happen server errors because of it?

Another question: if my language is not included in ES - is there a point to use it?

Thanks in advance for answers.