XenForo & Concurrent SQL Connections?

Webby

Hey all,

I have a new and small forum with ~30 members and got 10000 visits last month. Unfortunately everything went to hell after my host corrupted my database during a server upgrade or maintanence and it has been 15 days and counting and they still haven't solved the problem. I am using Arvixe :). The error prevents any posting on the forum.

I am now looking at various alternative hosting options, I came across one that shows a limit of 25 concurrent SQL connections. Is this an issue for xenForo software? Btw the host is MDD Hosting. Anyone have experience with them?

I came across one that shows a limit of 25 concurrent SQL connections.
Even if you don't hit that limit initially, you will as the site grows.

I would avoid hosts who have hard limits like that as you will encounter problems at some point.

All the "cheap and general" type hosts will.. Going from one cheap host to another, you'll just continue to have the same issue. Web Hosting is indeed one of those services where you get what you pay for..
Problem is that I have to go cheap. I don't want to spend too much money. I already lost money on Arvixe. And I am paying for xenForo which is actually a good deal considering the customer support and excellent software that it is.

Problem is that I have to go cheap. I don't want to spend too much money.

Then unfortunately, you are going to keep running into these problems. At some point, you're going to have to determine if spending some extra money on a host outweighs the cost of your time and frustration from continually having to migrate from one cheap host to another. That's ultimately something that only you can determine.

If I remember correctly under my load tests the concurrent connections for 250 users, 1000 TCP connections. 8000 requests per second. Stayed in single digit numbers despite multiple workers in play. While the query numbers were a much different story. Not sure how that scales but I think for a single application it doesn't become the same problem as if you are running multiple applications accessing the database server?

Top Bottom