XenForo community would like your permission to enable push notifications

AndyB

The following message keeps popping up:

1657118025049.webp

I click the X and then I see this message:

1657118088175.webp

I then click "Never ask again". At this point I would hope that I would not see the "XenForo community would like your permission to enable push notifications" again but this is not the case. In Firefox I have it set to clear my cookies when I exit Firefox. So if I exit Firefox I will once again see the "XenForo community would like your permission to enable push notifications" message.

Could you please make the "Never ask again" setting a database setting. That way when I select "Never ask again" it will be remembered.

Thank you.

Upvote 12
What if you use multiple devices and you want one device to never ask you again but you still want XF to ask on other devices?

This would be impossible without being able to identiy a specific device (via cookie or local storage).

I therefore don't see much point in string a device-specific setting in DB.

Besides that you usually don't want users to turn off push anyway.

Ideally there would be a way to allow "Never ask again" to be a DB setting so that those of us that only access forums on full size computers won't be constantly nagged about enabling push notifications.

you usually don't want users to turn off push anyway.
I've never really pushed (ha ha) it on my site. Don't even use it myself. Some people must have it on because I do get system errors related to it from time to time, but I don't really know who or how many. What's the issue? Users who use push are more engaged or something? I am not sure that's true for all. Younger folks, maybe, but a lot of older people I know find a constant flood of notifications on our devices irritating.

Ideally there would be a way to allow "Never ask again" to be a DB setting so that those of us that only access forums on full size computers won't be constantly nagged about enabling push notifications.
Yeah, it would be nice if you could dismiss it once and make it stick. Not sure what is the best way to do that but I support this in principle.

For those who would like to have this functionality, there is a way to achive this without any Add-on or an explicit feature:
  1. Create a new usergroup Never use push notifications that has permission Use Push notifications set to Never
  2. Create a new custom user field Disable Push-Notifications (Location=Preferences, Type=Checkbox)
  3. Create a promotion to usergroup Never use push notifcations based on the customfield being enabled
Now users can permanently disable the message by enabling the setting.

Last edited:
Assuming that push notifications are for mobile devices, why is this prompt showing on my non-mobile device? Why not use the @media tag to hide this on non-mobile devices? Over the course of a day I have to disable push notifications messages at least a dozen times, often more. It's really annoying.

Last edited:
I liked the push notifications on my forum, but several mods and users were against the feature and found it annoying.
So I had to disable push notifications.

I would like something in between:

Disable the annoying push notification popup, everybody seems to hate this
Allow the user to enable push notifications in the user's profile settings

(this is possible with a simple template edit, so no big deal)

Last edited:
Assuming that push notifications are for mobile devices, why is this prompt showing on my non-mobile device? Why not use the @media tag to hide this on non-mobile devices? Over the course of a day I have to disable push notifications messages at least a dozen times, often more. It's really annoying.
Desktop browsers support them, it's just something more widely used in the mobile world since many people tend to be on phones more than desktop anymore. I sometimes have them enabled on desktop. So definitely don't want that hard-coded, but I'd be okay with it being an option in the Preferences.

Is there a way to disable the "XenForo community would like your permission to enable push notifications" notice / nag at the bottom of the site WITHOUT disabling the feature?

I have users saying they keep seeing it. I don't think many people even use it, so I'm tempted to disable it just to stop the nag.

Ideally a solution would be similar to what @AndyB is suggesting, but in the absence of that option, it would be great to just be able to disable the nag for all users.

I just noticed that under Account menu -> Preferences -> Push notifications

1663300167392.png

It would be nice if the following message were not displayed at all. If members wants push notifications, they should need to enable them.

1663300303205.png

I visit many web sites each day, thankfully most don't have a pop up asking to enable push notifications. I hope XenForo will also eliminate the "enable push notifications" message.

Last edited:
Is there a way to disable the "XenForo community would like your permission to enable push notifications" notice / nag at the bottom of the site WITHOUT disabling the feature?

Yes, this is what I've done on my site. Works perfectly.
Users won't get the push notification popup at the bottom, but they are still able to enable push notifictions from the account menu.

Edit template notice_enable_push and replace everything with just this:
Code:
<xf:js>
    jQuery.extend(true, XF.config, {
        skipPushNotificationSubscription: true
    });
</xf:js>

Edit template notice_enable_push and replace everything with just this:
This does indeed hide the popup at the bottom of the page. But we found some side effects: https://xenforo.com/community/threa...ifications-whenever-logging-in-to-acp.211682/

I don't know if this is repeatable or not, but in our case it caused push notifications turning off every time admin.php login page was loaded.

We sorted this out by wrapping the upper portion (before <xf:js>) of notice_enable_push in <xf:if is="$xf.visitor.is_admin">. Now regular users don't see the annoying popup and everything works for them because they never open admin.php login page.

Admins might see the popup but their push notifications also remain turned on, even when visiting admin.php.

Top Bottom