XenForo.com Ressource Manager Edit - Time limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe time for a new option to prevent editing a post such that it is less than x characters, when x days have passed from it being posted?

Blocks 'snipping' without getting in the way of legitimate edits

Maybe time for a new option to prevent editing a post such that it is less than x characters, when x days have passed from it being posted?

Blocks 'snipping' without getting in the way of legitimate edits

I'm not waiting for them to pull their thumbs from their backside and develop some dumb edit snip feature. It's simple, if the members are abusing a feature block them from using it. Would you restrict likes globally if some ass was abusing the likes system? course not, they would be restricted.

Edit: @ luke not going off at you I just think punishing those that rely on it is bang out of order.

How about "reinstate edit privileges" feature development time - 2 seconds to switch it back on again.

In theory your idea could work Luke, but just go to www.lipsum.com => generate more than x characters => copy => xenforo => paste and it's over.

The question should not be how to block a user from deleting his posts, but to understand why this user wants to do that and find a better way to manage conflicts. And again, if a user wants to delete his posts, it's his right and his responsibility. You want to play with this in TOS, do it. But don't be surprise if one day, you're in conflict with European & local regulations. Now, as a user I don't care if someone wants to "blank" his posts, that's not my concern. But I care to be able to edit my own posts to update and fix my post content & information.

Having taken this decision suddenly and silently is dubious.

why not simply restrict editing privileges to those that are doing it
Because we don't know who's going to do it until they already have.

The latest incident involved hundreds of posts and threads which all now have just "." in them.

You want to play with this in TOS, do it. But don't be surprise if one day, you're in conflict with European & local regulations.

The TOS has always had the following in it since day 1 of XenForo.

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

I fail to see how removing the edit ability violates any EU data laws.

Having said that, the biggest concern seems to be with resource editing, so, Mike has changed the release forum edit time back.

not being able to edit my own Forum-posts is a downer for me.
Should be established as it was previously.

When somebody here decides to delete his own posts, just live with it.

When somebody here decides to delete his own posts, just live with it.

The latest person to do it deleted hundreds of posts which involved customer support and development questions which not only provided help to that person, but would have been great references for other people who may have had the same issues / questions.

Now, there are out of context replies, some in considerable detail, which have just been orphaned and have no frame of reference, so the entire thread, and the time spent by the community and staff wasted because of one person.

Its probably only going to be a temporary measure until 1.2 is pushed anyway.

Reactions: HWS
The latest person to do it deleted hundreds of posts which involved customer support and development questions which not only provided help to that person, but would have been great references for other people who may have had the same issues / questions.

Now, there are out of context replies, some in considerable detail, which have just been orphaned and have no frame of reference, so the entire thread, and the time spent by the community and staff wasted because of one person.

Its probably only going to be a temporary measure until 1.2 is pushed anyway.

I had to delete a couple entire Forums because of this:
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...nt-delete-its-threads.9743/page-3#post-431124

There was also a lot of work involved......

That's life.

• I'm not sure it was since day 1 but if you say so. I thought one reason of Floris to quit was a modification of the TOS about this. May be I'm incorrect and if I am I do apologize about bringing this again..
  • There are many debates in Europe about it and we certainly have to expect new European regulations in the next years. For example, one of the debate is the "right to be forgotten" and to have control on what one's written on Internet.
Now as you said, the main concern here is to be able to edit our owns posts. And I'm very sorry to hear this user decided to delete his posts (ps: I really don't know who he is and why he did this - there must be obviously some reasons), but the decision of one is not the concern of all us. And what has been deleted can be rewritten. The community is enough strong for this.

Having said that, the biggest concern seems to be with resource editing, so, Mike has changed the release forum edit time back.

You think?

This question still stands. Why are you picking and choosing which threads us innocent members can edit if your concerned members are going to delete/edit and otherwise disrupt the threads. Why wasn't the culprits punished? Why are people that take time to make this place better punished for someone else's wrong doing?

Credit to kingkovifor

"Admin CP -> Users -> User Permissions -> User "X" -> Forum Permissions: Edit Posts by Self -> "Never" " << for guilty people

Again though, that requires being able to predict those who are going to sabotage all of their posts before they do it.

By the time it is noticed it is too late.

Again though, that requires being able to predict those who are going to sabotage all of their posts before they do it.

By the time it is noticed it is too late.

So people that rely on edit functionality because a system isn't in place to deal with culprits abusing it. Have you seen the amount of edit: prefixes in my posts? I always go back to edit stuff to add to, correct yet because of a select few innocent parties are being punished.

I've tried suggesting in the suggestion area (not even sure the suggestion is a sound suggestion) but it's ridiculous how people who want to help and see XF grow are being restricted because of a few bad apples. No consideration for those that actually rely on edit functionality. BTW not blaming you I just think rather than brand everyone with the same brush was a solution ever considered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom