XenForo App?

Tapatalk and forumrunner are your only two real choices (without paying a developer yourself) but both of those are expensive and (in my opinion) pretty rubbish.

Maybe an upcoming Xenforo app, like vB's Mobile Suite? Maybe they'd be some interest in it's development via crowdfunding?

Isn't there a way to just make an icon that directs you to the website? Seems like that is all that would really be needed.

James

Isn't there a way to just make an icon that directs you to the website? Seems like that is all that would really be needed.
It's my understanding/believe that the Apple and Google stores don't allow such apps, and that they have to have genuine value.

Do we even have any iOS devs on here? Or are you assuming because they know php they could do it?
It's really easy to create an iOS App. Check out some XCode tutorial vids on YouTube. I was trying to create one myself. Made little samples. But to really do what I want, I'd need more php experience of which I have very very little. The only hard part for most experienced developers in my opinion is getting approved.

It's my understanding/believe that the Apple and Google stores don't allow such apps, and that they have to have genuine value.

What about one that can grab notifications and then link you to the site? To me, responsive is where it is at. It gives you full access to all features and I get email alerts. I don't know what more these kids want these days.

My buddies son looked at my site on Tapatalk which he likes and it doesn't five you the whole site. I have looked at it. I have a BlackBerry. I bought showcase and Competitions and I'm betting he wouldn't see those as well that's like buying a happy meal and only getting the fries. I want the whole meal and my toy.

James

Back in my day a phone could only go 10ft from the jack, 30ft if you had a 25 ft extension. Your modem would scream at you if you asked it to connect to the Internet. And if you asked it to do anything big you would take a nap till it was done, all the while hoping you didn't get a phone call during it.

How hard would it be to get the major add ons to work with the app as well? That is the issue. Plus from what I hear, people like tapatalk because each site is set up the same. You lose that with the a stand alone app. I guess you would have it across xenforo sites.

The biggest question is will it bring in enough

The android is easy enough, but getting accepted through iOS is another story. I've pretty much given up on that. Push notifications means zilch to iOS and other such features. You pretty much need someone who will take the time to make everything as native to iOS as possible rather than skating by like android will let you *basic web app will pass* Blackberry and windows also seem as easy as android.

Ever since responsive became a core feature I've had more people visit the via phone than the android app. On discussion with particular members who frequent on phone, they don't give a diddly about notifications and often disable them for things such as facebook. This is why I lost interest in the app development. I see no need for it now that we have responsive. User simply bookmark or create a shortcut on their phone, bam "app".

If I were to have an app now it'd just purely be to bring in extra traffic and "glitter" for my site.

AND on top of that a great number complained about forcing a mobile theme on them in the app. they wanted me to provide a desktop version so all features could be viewed on each page.

Things to consider when making the app :p

I've also got this feeling iOS may start just denying apps based on the fact there's too many other similar apps. IDK how forumrunner or tapatalk are able to go on, possibly some deal or they were just first to it.

iOS apps are in fact easy as hell to create, but it's not easy getting approved. They want you to create a unique experience. Creating an app that navigates to your site, gives notifications, allows you to invite members, and even force a new style haven't cut it for me. It's never unique enough :p

Android is simple. Not sure about iOS as it requires developers own a mac and a developer license, as well as hardware to test on.

In the mean time, you can add an apple touch icon to your site and users can add it to their homescreen easily enough (or they could, I haven't used iOS since v3).

Top Bottom