Xenforo Addons with 2.0

hauntmaster

We are looking to purchase Xenforo now. We understand we would have to purchase version 1.5, and then look to upgrade all after 2.0 is fully tested and up and running. My concern is we are looking for some addons that are paid additions. A few questions:

1) I realize each vendor decides for themselves how long until they migrate to a new release, but for the more well established add ons how long is that usually, even with a range? We would have to wait for that to be done in order to migrate over to 2.0 or risk losing the functionality that add-on provided as I understand it.

2) There are usually no charges for these kinds of upgrades from the providers as long as recently purchased and/or you are paying the annual maintenance fee correct?

1) I realize each vendor decides for themselves how long until they migrate to a new release, but for the more well established add ons how long is that usually, even with a range? We would have to wait for that to be done in order to migrate over to 2.0 or risk losing the functionality that add-on provided as I understand it.
Some developers might have revealed their progress already. I don't think you should be in any rush to upgrade to XF 2 as soon as the betas come out anyway. Normally this time period will give the developers enough time to port over their add-ons.
2) There are usually no charges for these kinds of upgrades from the providers as long as recently purchased and/or you are paying the annual maintenance fee correct?
Some developers might charge you separately for the xF2 version of their add-on. You'll need to find out what the developer is planning.

Yeah unfortunately there's no way to even give this a ball park figure. However, that's why we've been conducting a developer preview since January. Most developers ideally would have started the work some months ago, but what makes it difficult to calculate it is how many different add-ons some developers have.

Any add-ons you install now for XF 1.5 will remain installed when you upgrade to XF 2.0 but indeed they will be disabled until they are updated to a 2.0 compatible version.

That's down to the provider entirely. I know some are releasing XF 2.0 compatible versions for free, some are just charging their agreed renewal fee (if applicable) or some are just charging again from scratch.

Don't expect a general answer for that question.

1) Some may take weeks, some may take even years. Depends on the developer.

2) Some may charge extra, some may not. You have to ask the developer of each add-on.

Thank you all for your responses. Unfortunately, pretty much what I expected to hear. I guess our best bet is before we purchase any add ons to ask those developers when they will be 2.0 compatible. I realize anyone can tell us anything and we cannot hold them to it, but for reputational reasons hopefully we'll get more straight shooters especially if we keep to the more well established ones.

Top Bottom