XenForo Activity Stream [Deleted]

Adam Howard

TheVisitors submitted a new resource:

XenForo Activity Stream (version 1.0) - Add an activity stream - OR - replace "whats new" with one

What is an activity stream?

An activity stream is a more useful and detailed version of "What's New". Unlike "What's New?", it does not just list new post or threads, but every new action your members do.

If you're interested... XenForo already does have an "activity stream". It's always had one. ;)

Really? Where?

It's in a place that I and others do not use and often ignore... ie.. The "Members" Tab and it is called "Recent Activity".

That's cool....

Read more about this resource...

Very useful for small site.
In my site, it changes every second. Not very useful anymore.

So, this is a combination of the newsfeed (recent activity) and the what's new?
Basically, yes

XenForo has always had it, but it was not where you'd expect it.

My simple template edit allows you to place it where members can find it easier by either adding it next to the current "what's new" in option 2 or completely replacing the old whats new with this in option 1.

You can see a demo here on XenForo

Current What's New = http://xenforo.com/community/find-new/threads
Activity Stream = http://xenforo.com/community/recent-activity/

Oh, so this moves the tab/link to a 'sensible' position?

Any additional features or functions added or planned?

YES :)

You'd have to ask XenForo ... This is simply a basic template edit into what is already there.
First of all, thanks for providing this simple edit. Very easy to create a template modification in TMS for this.

I have a couple questions:
  1. How can we change what tab the Recent Activity page is "anchored" to? In other words, I have hidden my Members tab and don't want to use it, so I'd like for the active tab when Recent Activity is being viewed to be "Forums" or a custom tab "What's New?".
  2. Does anyone have the know-how to use the javascript that digitalpoint uses for his Spy add-on to instead make the Recent Activity Feed auto-refresh? The Recent Activity gives a far better snapshot of what is going on on your site since it includes Likes, timestamps, etc.

Adam Howard updated XenForo Activity Stream with a new update entry:

XenForo 1.1.4 update

The navigation for "what's new" changed in XenForo 1.1.4 and I updated the resource to reflect this.

If XenForo 1.1.3 (or older)
PHP:
<li><a href="{xen:link 'find-new/threads'}">{xen:phrase whats_new}</a></li>

IF XenForo 1.1.4 (or newer)
PHP:
<li><a href="{xen:link 'find-new/threads'}" rel="nofollow">{xen:phrase whats_new}</a></li>

I also changed this modification version number to reflect XenForo's version number. If any improvement or fixes are needed I'll...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Original instructions
for XenForo 1.1.x

What is an activity stream?

An activity stream is a more useful and detailed version of "What's New". Unlike "What's New?", it does not just list new post or threads, but every new action your members do.

If you're interested... XenForo already does have an "activity stream". It's always had one. ;)

Really? Where?

It's in a place that I and others do not use and often ignore... ie.. The "Members" Tab and it is called "Recent Activity".

That's cool. So now what?

Now you can move it on your home page for your users to easily find or replace "What's New" with it. (Either one will make it easier for members to find and use)

The choice is yours.

OPTION 1 - Replace "What's New?"

Within your template inside NAVIGATION search for

PHP:

PHP:
<li><a href="{xen:link 'find-new/threads'}" rel="nofollow">{xen:phrase whats_new}</a></li>

Replace it with

PHP:
<xen:if is="{$xenOptions.enableNewsFeed}"><li><a href="{xen:link recent-activity}">{xen:phrase whats_new}</a></li></xen:if>

OPTION 2 - Relocate

Within your template inside NAVIGATION search for

PHP:

PHP:

Add this line directly under it

PHP:
<xen:if is="{$xenOptions.enableNewsFeed}"><li><a href="{xen:link recent-activity}">{xen:phrase recent_activity}</a></li></xen:if>

Now wasn't that easy? ;)

You're welcome :cool:
UPDATE:

If you have [8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal) installed and wish to apply this on there as well.

In template EWRporta_Navtabs search for

PHP:

Then decide if you want option 1 or 2 and apply final solutions to desired.
Was this helpful?
I accept donations

Top Bottom