XenForo 3

I feel like XF2 will probably be around for a lot longer than XF1
I feel the same and that's why I wanted to ask.

No reason XF2 could change as the internet changes.
I'm not clear about the reasons why XenForo changed, since I did not manage any site with XenForo before buying the license. But I believe that the development of technology and the Internet, can affect the development of XenForo.

I feel the same and that's why I wanted to ask.

I'm not clear about the reasons why XenForo changed, since I did not manage any site with XenForo before buying the license. But I believe that the development of technology and the Internet, can affect the development of XenForo.

It could and does. But XF2 is built on much newer coding practices and standards than XF1 was and could change with the times more easily than XF1 could.

Hiho,

it`s okay to bring up this topic? :=)
I have a forum with 1.5. Fulfils all the functions. But i thinking to switch to 2.x or waiting for 3.
2.0 released 2017? It's been a while.

Maybe 2023 is the release-date for version 3? :=)

Greetings!
Martin

I would bet money that there will not be a XF 3.x version for quite awhile (I'd say 2028 at the absolute earliest). This is of course with zero inside knowledge. But let's look at the facts:

1.0 was released in March, 2011
2.0 was released in November 2017
1.x had minor version released of: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5

It's been 2 years since 2.2 was released.
Developers have said there's a 2.3 version coming (see this post).
Developers have also said that 2.x have a longer shelf life than 1.x did because it's more mature. It doesn't need a complete/major restructuring or rewrite.

...so my logic is that is 2.x minor versions have a 2 year shelf life and we'll probably also see 2.4 and 2.5 someday... There's not going to be a XenForo 3 in 2023. Which is great as far as I'm concerned... Addon developers aren't into rewriting everything from scratch every time there's a major version. I'd be stoked if there was NEVER a 3.0 version. Let's just go to 2.99. :)

Top Bottom