XF 2.2 Xenforo 2.2 smilar threads

Would like to get an idea of who may be running this on a VPS or shared solution? Mine (through knownhost) has 2 GB of RAM and I'm told this will not be enough for me to run Enhanced Search because elasticsearch takes up too many resources.

I run my forum (https://secretprojects.co.uk) just fine in 2GB of RAM including Elasticsearch / XFES. Have 1GB spare even :)

Using nginx as web server - memory consumption was far higher with Apache.

Threads: 27,091
Daily users: 700 - 1000 (17000+members)
Daily posts: 150-250

Last edited:
The problem isn't with the default XF search, it's mainly down to constraints within MySql search, hence the reason why Elastic search works better with larger forums than the standard MySql search.

From what I understand with ES you are not searching the database directly but searching an index of the database, the index is updated by ES periodically.
(please correct me if I'm wrong :) )

The problem isn't with the default XF search, it's mainly down to constraints within MySql search, hence the reason why Elastic search works better with larger forums than the standard MySql search.

From what I understand with ES you are not searching the database directly but searching an index of the database, the index is updated by ES periodically.
(please correct me if I'm wrong :) )
Absolutely correct. MySQL search is awful. However my old forum software (SMF Forum) built their own search engine which built an index much like a budget version of Elastic, so upgrading to XenForo came as a shock.

I run my forum (https://secretprojects.co.uk) just fine in 2GB of RAM including Elasticsearch / XFES. Have 1GB spare even :)

Using nginx as web server - memory consumption was far higher with Apache.

Threads: 27,091
Daily users: 700 - 1000 (17000+members)
Daily posts: 150-250
Can I ask how you have it configured? After my host installed it, the service crashes within minutes before I've even used or configured it. The host (support) then said 2GB of ram is not going to be enough to run it.

Top Bottom