XenForo 2.1.4 is faster

Recep Baltaş

I just wanted to let you know that after upgrading to XF 2.1.4, our forum got a lot faster and responsive.

For those who wonder, here is our software:
  • PHP 7.3.9
  • MySQL 10.3.18 (10.3.18-MariaDB)
  • LiteSpeed 5.4.1

Hmm. I am upgrading on the weekend so will see what happens. I did upgrade my dev to check for problems but I don't really do much there other than testing so wouldn't notice a performance change there.

My forums both had a occasional lag (3-5 seconds) when reacting to posts on 2.13. I've noticed since upgrading yesterday from 2.13 to 2.14 it hasn't happened. Not sure if it's something to do with the upgrade or not.

I mean, we'll take it and we're happy that people hold this perception, but to be clear we're not currently expecting users to experience any significant performance improvement between 2.1.3 and 2.1.4 and cannot specifically pinpoint any logical reason for a perceived performance increase.

I'm strongly of the same opinion. Yesterday I've upgraded from 2.1.3 to 2.1.4 and now, I just wanted to say that is pretty awesome and genius. As a result, XenForo is amazing software that is the only one of its kind in the world. Everything is quite clear, if you know how to look at it. That's all.

Depending on the size of the database, the MySQL/MariaDB version used, the effort put into DB optimization and the usage of widgets XF 2.1.4 can have a noticeable effect on performance:

@Recep Baltaş Maybe you have upgraded to a newer PHP version during this upgrade?

Nope. It was PHP 7.3 for a long time.

Depending on the size of the database, the MySQL/MariaDB version used, the effort put into DB optimization and the usage of widgets XF 2.1.4 can have a noticeable effect on performance:

Yepp, that could very well be for a web site with 150K+ daily unique visitors.

I would also say, or feel that the forum with 2.1.4 runs more fluently.
GooglePageSpeed, however, says ~everything is the same.

I'm waiting on upgrading as I have to wait for my theme developer to update the theme I use from 2.1.3 to 2.1.4. :)

Yes, feeling the faster forum may depend of widgets usage. So, if you have big data and more widget, forum would be faster a bit.

Upgraded yesterday. Can't say I've seen a performance boost but it's a small board and uses just a few standard widgets so perhaps the fixes being cited above don't make much difference to us. I'll see if any members comment.

Top Bottom