XF 2.1 XenForo 2.1.0 Video Uploads query

webbouk

Just a few questions re the Video Uploads, if I may,

- Are the video's compressed as they are uploaded or uploaded 'as is' ?
(Typically a phone video is roughly 1GB per minute as far as I know)

-
Are the videos saved into the same folder as other image attachments or a separate folder?

- Finally, is the size of the video upload governed by the 'upload_max_filesize' and 'post_max_size' variables within php ?

Thanks,

- Are the video's compressed as they are uploaded or uploaded 'as is' ?
(Typically a phone video is roughly 1GB per minute as far as I know)
As is. For now we're keeping the process as simple as possible. Anything else would require complex dependencies and delays in posting while videos are processed. XFMG supports video uploads with some level of compression on upload.

- Are the videos saved into the same folder as other image attachments or a separate folder?
A separate folder.

- Finally, is the size of the video upload governed by the 'upload_max_filesize' and 'post_max_size' variables within php ?
Every single upload you do through PHP will be governed by those settings.

@Chris D - I'm noticing a massive difference in file size when I upload a video with my iPhone.

If I click Upload Video and choose the first option - shooting the video using the "Take Video" option, a 3 minute video is only 18MB.

And if I shoot a similar 3 minute video with my iPhone video recorder app first (at the lowest setting of 720p) and THEN select it from the Photo Library in Xenforo's Upload Video button, it's 185MB.

Can you shed some light on what's going on here?

Thanks so much.

I don't really have any comment. We just upload the file that the device gives us. It suggests that the Camera app might be simply producing differently compressed files in different scenarios.

It suggests that the Camera app might be simply producing differently compressed files in different scenarios.

Thanks @Chris D. How would I refer to this "scenario" from a technical point of view if I were to speak with someone from Apple? What is Xenforo asking the phone to do when it uploads a video and records it straight rather than loading a pre-existing video?

XenForo doesn't ask the phone to do anything at all. The "Take Photo or Video" and "Photo Library" menu is entirely coming from the phone and that is just the automatic behaviour when an HTML file upload input is clicked.

Once you have chosen something, the phone essentially streams the data to the input. From our point of view, we just receive some data and upload what we are given. We actually don't even know where the data comes from, in terms of which device, OS, or which options you picked to get there. We literally just receive the data.

If it helps, you can simplify the equation somewhat by removing XF entirely. The file upload button is a standard HTML input so you should observe the same results whether you are uploading the data to XenForo, some other application entirely, or just to a very basic standard client/server file upload HTML page.

Top Bottom