• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

XenFocus.com skins now available

Hmm... I personally don't like any. Think they are just to basic need more skin touches imo. Like profiles are just basic doesn't really seem like much has been done. No offence <3 your IPB work but XenForo needs more time to be customized.

In most cases with themes for forums - less is more ...

Rounded corners are the plague of Web browsers when it comes to performance. Do you plan to design a style that would not use them?

You may think my statement was extreme, but you should measure the difference before you put me in the loony bin.

Actually, images, if hosted correctly, rarely get downloaded more than once, so their impact on page rendering is not as large as you would imagine. And, obviously, images can add a significantly value to your content.

Rounded corners, implemented CSS techniques, are rendered in the browser. When a page only has a few of those "boxes" with rounded corners, the performance cost can be discounted. When you have many, depending on the technique used, their rendering (which happens every time the page is loaded) can add 20% to 30% to the total rendering time. And, rounded corners don't add a lot of value to your content.

That's all I'll say in my own defense, since you already assumed I am one of those bandwidth/CPU preservation fanatics.

Love Animate! Don't think anything else is going to come close to the design that I wanted. All I have to do now is change it to a lighter color scheme for the default forum look.

Thanks for the skin. Will be buying it by August first week (if not within next 10 days :P ).

They look great and it's awesome to see what you could do with xF. Some of the skins need some minor tweaks and I think you should release a few xF exclusives skin but this is a great start.

You may think my statement was extreme, but you should measure the difference before you put me in the loony bin.

Actually, images, if hosted correctly, rarely get downloaded more than once, so their impact on page rendering is not as large as you would imagine. And, obviously, images can add a significantly value to your content.

Rounded corners, implemented CSS techniques, are rendered in the browser. When a page only has a few of those "boxes" with rounded corners, the performance cost can be discounted. When you have many, depending on the technique used, their rendering (which happens every time the page is loaded) can add 20% to 30% to the total rendering time. And, rounded corners don't add a lot of value to your content.

That's all I'll say in my own defense, since you already assumed I am one of those bandwidth/CPU preservation fanatics.

In general, he speaks the truth. Designs utilizing lots of CSS3 effects will slow down rendering time and occasionally lead to a sort of "laggy" feeling on the site with selecting text, scrolling, etc. In practice, this is not really much of a problem, though.

Top Bottom