XenFans new XenForo style... gotta love it

Being xenforo related I feel this thread is very relevant posted here. But that is my opinion which I grudge posting considering I wanted my 1000 post to be a release in the resource area. Bah!!

I like the transparent effect on the sides. The background-image seems to have stretched pixels though :)

It's a poor quality image :) I have done some testing since, and the idea of having it fixed width, and just use it smarter is growing on me. But for now since it's just a background image in 1024 it will stretch on wider screens.

If only everybody had 10mbit or higher internet and 24" or bigger monitors. Would make designing pages so much awesomer

Shouldn't things about 3rd party sites, be discussed at that site and not here?
Totally agree.

Carl, you're always negative with everything I post here or is posted about me. So there's no surprise there.

David: I think Grover is just excited to see that XenForo can be used to make simplistic changes with a few edits, and still look good. If that's better suited as an offtopic or spin off in the 'who runs xf' thread is a decision for the staff.

I like to believe XenForo.com isn't as strict - and welcomes feedback. I also don't see 1 huge introduction thread for example. ;)

I don't think the devs will have a problem with this thread. One way of looking at it (from a customisation perspective) is that it shows you what can and is being done to 3rd party "related xenforo" sites and even has the resources there to guide you. In my books it's a win win, win for the user who bumps into this thread, and ventures to the "xenforo related site". and showing them what can be accomplished giving a first hand glance at what can be done. Sometimes people can't visualise without seeing implementations in action and this is a perfect example showing them.

Grover was (imo) sensible posting this because these simplified changes/edits just shows you how easy a novice can customise their boards by looking at floris excellent example of what can be done.

jealousy gets the best of everyone at some point.
The topic is quite valid here as it points out a style that has been modified, even slightly. Personally I love the style.

I hardly think jealousy had anything to do with it. It is a nice small change to the default theme and I'm a big as fan as it as the next guy, but if you allow the "Hey check out XXX site with the XXXX modification of XXX feature" thread for one thing, then you'll need to allow it for all sites.

Much like the "what do you think of vBulletin's iPhone skin" was closed down (and properly done so I might add)

I hardly think jealousy had anything to do with it. It is a nice small change to the default theme and I'm a big as fan as it as the next guy, but if you allow the "Hey check out XXX site with the XXXX modification of XXX feature" thread for one thing, then you'll need to allow it for all sites.

Much like the "what do you think of vBulletin's iPhone skin" was closed down (and properly done so I might add)

And then you went ahead and created a thread called 'vBorg green skin' hehe :p

Can we please stop the drama in this discussion? Thank you very much.

It is beyond me why a simple appreciative discussion in the Off Topic section evolves into a discussion like this. Surely we have better things to do with our time. On a side note: providing an example where a vBulletin skin is being discussed is a comparison that doesn't make sense. I am talking about XenForo... and I even do it in the Off Topic section! Please people.

I apologize for the derailing of the thread, it was an honest question that i've got the answer to.

As long as the discussion is positive toward Xenforo it's allowed, if not it has no place.
David, this thread is about the style on xenfans, do you have a point regarding that?

I've been working over night (mainly to distract myself from some bad news) on various ideas for the header and the footer, together with a few smart template customizations.

At the moment the 'daytime' changes to a twilight kinda mood when the timezone hits the night 6 hours.
And additionally if it's summer or winter it changes the image to a summery or snowy kinda fashion.
I am still working on having it recognize holiday seasons or just special days such as valentines.

Yes, it requires quite a few additional images - but it keeps the uniqueness of a style to a site recognizable while being playful and not annoying. It's all localhost due to testing, a lot of bugs because I am horrible at it. But it's quite fun, and one can make the array of info as extreme as they want - basically up to the page load.

The nightly one for example has the moon in the top section, behind the logo, but if the date hits holiday season like christmas it has santa in riding/flying through the air.

I hope once xf goes stable and i have learned a lot more about the power of the template system and style properties that i can make some sort of release out of it, or at least use it on my live web sites.

The localhost version also has the footer with a glass border, and the content of company info, content info, and contact info + copyright, listed. just has a subtle bevel of blue, with a blue-tinted opacity gradient to still differentiate it from the full content. I tried using this on the navbar, but it's complex setup and looked broken.

Top Bottom