XenCMS fund raising topic

Do you pledge to donate for XenCMS?

• Yes

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is no sometimes. A bridge is just a hack that messes too much with databases. No bridge can replace a native solution.

What happens when Xenforo later releases their own CMS? Then you gotta deal with this addon plugin CMS and moving all the content over, and dealing with all the extra stuff the plugin added. This lawsuit has tied up over 2 years of development time. Just imagine how much farther Xenforo could have been by now. Meanwhile wordpress keeps plugging along nicely and there's even a forum http://www.simple-press.com that plugs right into Wordpress and has much of Xenforo's functionality (but not as pretty or advanced). At least with wordpress you know every 3 to 6 months you're getting a batch of great new features. I will be glad that once the lawsuit is over, we can finally get an idea of what to expect from Xenforo and have a sense of the road ahead. But waiting and waiting is no fun.
XenForo won't make their own CMS. That would be a stupid move.

Bridge by definition is << native solution
Yeah no. A bridge to a well coded (so new, none of this drupal, wordpress or joomla ********) CMS would work very well. You don't know what goes into bridging. Just because you have used crappy ones doesn't mean a proper bridge created by an experienced programmer won't work. I have integrated XenForo with other software multiple times. There is no "messes with a database" crap when you know what you are doing.

And lastly, a native CMS on XenForo would be meh. XenForo isn't some magical framework people seem to think it is, the noforo idea shows how clueless some people are. There are real frameworks out there (symfony 2, laravel 4, flow3, fuelphp etc) that do things WAY WAY better than XenForo. Because that is their job. XenForo is a forum, let it be.

Well I don't agree with every detail Robbo but mostly that was a damn fine post.
Just disagree with the disapproval of the noforo idea. I have a noforo type site and it's a joy. I have all the familiar admin XF smootthness I'm used to so setup amd maintenance is incredibly fast and easy - no learning curve - smart style, SEO, stable, easy to design. Plus with Library I'm loading content pages and doing tweak edits at great speed.
Not everyone's choice. For one thing $140 is a lot to pay for a single site editor. But worth it to me.

XenForo won't make their own CMS. That would be a stupid move.

Yeah no. A bridge to a well coded (so new, none of this drupal, wordpress or joomla bull****) CMS would work very well. You don't know what goes into bridging. Just because you have used crappy ones doesn't mean a proper bridge created by an experienced programmer won't work. I have integrated XenForo with other software multiple times. There is no "messes with a database" crap when you know what you are doing.
I never used a bridge.

And lastly, a native CMS on XenForo would be meh. XenForo isn't some magical framework people seem to think it is, the noforo idea shows how clueless some people are. There are real frameworks out there (symfony 2, laravel 4, flow3, fuelphp etc) that do things WAY WAY better than XenForo. Because that is their job. XenForo is a forum, let it be.
You contradict yourself here. First you say that all that it takes to create a proper bridge is good coding skills and now you are saying that regardless of one's coding skills a native XenForo CMS will be meh because XenForo is a forum.

Sorry bro but I have seen awesome native private CMSes for forums even inferior to XenForo.

...the noforo idea shows how clueless some people are. There are real frameworks out there (symfony 2, laravel 4, flow3, fuelphp etc) that do things WAY WAY better than XenForo. Because that is their job. XenForo is a forum, let it be.

No claims were ever made that XenForo + NoForo was better than some of these other frameworks. I'm sure each of the frameworks you have listed and others differ from others for various reasons. Some are free to use, some are open source, some have better documentation, some are quicker, some have cleaner code, some have greater community support, some have lots of add-ons available, some have a great forum built into them, some have great developers behind them, some are yet to achieve their full potential because of frivolous lawsuits, etc. etc.. It is for developers and users to make their own minds up about which is more important for them.

As a company, we (Waindigo) cannot do everything. Our focus is on XenForo (not any of these other frameworks). We also focus on doing things that are new and innovative (I'm sure you will have an opinion on whether anything I have released is particularly new or innovative). Generally we shy away from porting old vBulletin (or other forum) add-ons to XenForo. When we create add-ons, we try to push boundaries (not always by a lot, but a little bit) and we like people to look at what we have created and think things like "I would never have thought of that..." and "maybe that means this is possible...".

As such, I have no interest in creating a generic CMS like all other CMS solutions. Putting so much of my time and effort into something that is neither new or innovative is not worth it for me.

That being said, if someone came to me with an innovative idea (and the required funding) for a CMS, then this is certainly something that I would be interested in exploring further, and I would be interested in developing it for the XenForo because that is what we do!

I wish I had seen this thread earlier.

Everything I want to do was doable in vBCMS. I know vBCMS is not popular but it had all the features I needed.

I would be willing to pay for this if it met all of my requirements.

Jon the trouble is that this thread never went anywhere except discuusing different software available by bridges, on other platforms, and a bit on what a cms should be.

I think the best possibility at the moment is the CMF project.

Top Bottom