[XD] Featured Threads Slider

[XD] Featured Threads Slider 1.0.4

No permission to download
Instead of a packaging as a Featured Page... just let them out as separate widgets so that we can use and place anywhere in our site.
this was my suggestion on page 2 of this thread -- a separate widget key for all-time featured posts. Over time I guess pagination would be required....:unsure:

this was my suggestion on page 2 of this thread -- a separate widget key for all-time featured posts. Over time I guess pagination would be required....:unsure:
Replicating through widget is possible... From the widget.. you can create a new one with different key though. If i understood you question right?

The only problem is as i suggested in page 2..... without restricting each widgets with its own forums or categories... it's going to show up the same threads in all the Featred threads widgets.

Replicating through widget is possible... From the widget.. you can create a new one with different key though. If i understood you question right?

The only problem is as i suggested in page 2..... without restricting each widgets with its own forums or categories... it's going to show up the same threads in all the Featred threads widgets.
Hmm, I'm not sure I follow, either. Here is exactly what Page 2 was suggesting...

First, the premise is that in order to achieve my desired "featured threads" feature on my site's homepage, I was using the following two Resources:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/dl6-widget-new-threads-and-posts-with-prefix-limit.5587/
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/page-as-portal-homepage.5663/

This allowed me to edit a thread and change the thread prefix to "[FEATURED]" - this prefix was only permissioned to be managed by admins.

With the prefix limit add-on, I created a widget to use on my page-as-portal-homepage, showing the latest 5 results. On that portal page I added a link to "Show all Featured Threads" (so that anyone who wanted to see all featured threads from the past could do just that).

That link went to another custom page which had a different widget, using the same prefix-limit add-on, but with results set to 0 (no limit).

This new add-on that we're all using allowed me to retire the system above, and indeed my homepage is now forum_list, with featured threads sliding at the top -- much better experience and a more consolidated information architecture, so I'm very happy about that. The only thing I'm missing is the link to all featured threads from the past. I think this is essential, not just for visitors wanting to see them, but from an administrative standpoint, it's helpful to go back into the archives of Featured threads.

This gives me great editorial control, vs. being solely an open forum with no editorial oversight. I'm calling the slider our "Must-Reads" for the site.

Hope this helps explain the Page 2 post and the ultimate objective.

Last edited:
...adding the "Featured Item" button to the XFMG would be pretty cool also. I suppose Resource Manager also, even though I don't use that. The slider could offer a mix of featured content.

Many thanks for this @Ovunc Dinc. Really cool.

Having problem with my install. Everything is working fine apart from my uploaded featured icon is not being displayed:

1526902006070.webp

I have uploaded thumbnails but they don't seem to be saving:

1526902237301.webp

The broken image above points to:

/styles/XenGenTr/xengentr_resimlikonular/xengentr_varsayilan.png

Which I'm guessing is a default location used in case the thumbnail is not present.

I am using XFMG mapped to a separate volume, but even with XFMG disabled, the problem persists.

Any ideas folks?

Many thanks

Chris

Attachments

• 1526902231591.webp
    1526902231591.webp
    19 KB · Views: 11
Many thanks for this @Ovunc Dinc. Really cool.

Having problem with my install. Everything is working fine apart from my uploaded featured icon is not being displayed:
I have uploaded thumbnails but they don't seem to be saving:

The broken image above points to:

/styles/XenGenTr/xengentr_resimlikonular/xengentr_varsayilan.png

Which I'm guessing is a default location used in case the thumbnail is not present.

I am using XFMG mapped to a separate volume, but even with XFMG disabled, the problem persists.

Any ideas folks?

Many thanks

Chris

Hi @Patagonian ,
I could not update the add-on with business trip reasons.
I will fix it in a couple of minutes later. Maybe I can add small improvements.

Hi @Patagonian ,
I could not update the add-on with business trip reasons.
I will fix it in a couple of minutes later. Maybe I can add small improvements.

Thank you for the update - but the problem is still there.

I upload Featured Icon but it is not saved on disc. There is no error in log.

Here's a short video showing problem - uploading featured icon, but not saving:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wJBbheVTexU9-uhAIfnBblcVWituPPDl

Edit:

I think I have found the problem.

Xenforo allows use of alternative mapped external volume and images will automatically be saved there. Possibly? you have to change code a little to make sure you read correct abstracted path? I think this is case for all XF installations using external images store like Amazon etc.

This is mapped volume below and Slider saves icons there correctly.... bit not reading from there :)
1527115055985.webp

And final edit:

I can confirm.

1/ Slider correctly saves images to mapped volume

But

2/ tries to read from: /data/XenGenTr/xengentr_resimlikonular

I think you need to make sure you are using correct read path for images... :)

Last edited:
Ok what have i missed, am i the only one with 2 of the same threads appearing in featured threads? Default style, latest XF2. 3 of the same threads appear first, then 1 thread decides to disappear which leaves 2 of the same thread.

Attachments

• ft.webp
    ft.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom