XF 1.3 wrong smilies do appear in postings

snoopy5

Hi,

I just upgraded my forum to 1.3 and tried change some smilies. I first disabled the old smilies in the ACP, so they do not appear anymore in the texteditor choice and only left those activated, which I wat to use for future postings.

But when a user types i.e. the textform for a smilie in his posting like

Code:
:)

, it shows still my old deactivated smilie and not the XF-smilie which is avalable in the editor. Same problem if I click on a smilie in the editor. I see the correct XF-smilie in the editor, but when I publish the posting, it changes the smilie to my old deactivated smilie icon which I just disabled in the ACP.

Both smilies have the same textcode. The same happens with other "overlapping" smilies with same textcode

I guess this is the reason why it gets mixed. But how can I make the setting, that for future postings it consistantly only takes the icons which I enable in the ACP?

Do I have to run a query for this somewhere ?

What could be the reason for this?

This sounds more like a browser cache. Can you show us the old and new smilies (so we know which is which) and show us an example thread where the old one is showing?

Texticon
Code:
;)

;)

same as icon from the editor box here:

;)

I get this instead for both:

smilies_wrong.webp

In ACP I have enabled only the original XF smilie (yellow) and the blue one is the one I imported a long while ago and disbaled it now in ACP.

Same for the normal smilie, the angry smilie etc.

I now made the reverse in ACP: I disabled the original XF smilies and enabled the imported ones. It shows again the blue ones, which is correct in this situation.

So somehow it seems to ignore always the original XF smilies as soon as an imported smilie has the same textform in the code.

Just to clarify as well, there's no way to disable a smiley unless you delete it. Is that what you're doing? (There should be no way to have multiple smilies that have the same text to replace.)

Well, you have duplicated smilies. I'm not sure how that happened as it should be handled by the import system (will have to double check).

As mentioned, you can't disable smilies. You need to delete the old conflicting ones.

Just to clarify as well, there's no way to disable a smiley unless you delete it. Is that what you're doing? (There should be no way to have multiple smilies that have the same text to replace.)

What I want to do is that in future postings, only the icons appear, which are visible in the texteditor choice. No matter whether you type it as text or by selecting the icon the the editor box.

The old imported icons shall only be visible in all old postings. This is why I can not delete them and only deactivate them in ACP

Unfortunately, that's not how smilies work. You're attempting something that isn't possible. (Also, to reiterate: you cannot deactivate smilies. You are choosing to not display them in the text editor, but that does not deactivate them.)

How did you insert the old smilies then?

This is why I gave you the access to a test account in my forum.

I clicked within the texteditor on the YELLOW icon/smilie. The texteditor inserts this yellow icon into the textbox. But as soon as I submit the posting, it changes this yellow icon in the posting into a BLUE icon/smilie.

You can also try to just type
Code:
;)
into the texteditor. After submitting the posting, it shows it only as a blue icon/smilie and not as a yellow icon/smilie.

Theoretically this should not be possible. Only the yellow icon/smilie is activated in the ACP. This is why we have this option to activate and deactivate icons/smilies in ACP, right?

Please try it yourself, then you will understand what I mean.

You can't have multiple smilies with overlapping "text to replace". This is what you have and this is the problem.

You cannot deactivate smilies. Please re-read my previous posts.

What you are trying to accomplish is not possible in the system.

So what do I do then, if I want to streamline my smilie box? Example:

I have these blue smilies since around 10 years in my forums. Since converting to XF, I have additionnally now for the same textsign also yellow smilies/icons.

If I want to use in the future only the yellow icons, how do I proceed then without risking that in all old postings all old blue smilies of the last 10 years are disappearing in the postings?

Or would the old blue smilies keep visible in all old postings even if I delete in ACP the blue ones?

So what do I do then, if I want to streamline my smilie box? Example:

I have these blue smilies since around 10 years in my forums. Since converting to XF, I have additionnally now for the same textsign also yellow smilies/icons.

If I want to use in the future only the yellow icons, how do I proceed then without risking that in all old postings all old blue smilies of the last 10 years are disappearing in the postings?

Or would the old blue smilies keep visible in all old postings even if I delete in ACP the blue ones?
You will need to define a different code for the yellow. You cannot use
Code:
for both. You could do something like
Code:
:):
for the new ones (in fact, that's the only way to keep your old ones blue as if you define the yellow ones as that and change the blue to something else, everywhere that
Code:
is used will show the yellow.

o.k., that sound like a good solution. I do not mind, if all blue icons change to yellow, as long as it is the same meaning of the smilie (i.e. wink) and no posting is loosing a smilie, so that the posting gets a new meaning without a smilie in it.

I will try that...

Why don't you just replace the blue smiley images with the yellow smiley images?
I am confused as to what it is you are actually trying to achieve.

o.k., that sound like a good solution. I do not mind, if all blue icons change to yellow, as long as it is the same meaning of the smilie (i.e. wink) and no posting is loosing a smilie, so that the posting gets a new meaning without a smilie in it.

I will try that...
The BBcode for the smile will remain the same with whatever one you define for it (either the blue or the yellow) no matter if it's an old post or not.
What I am saying is if the old one was blue but you redefine the
Code:
to be the yellow all the blue ones that were there will turn to the yellow ones. You just can't have two smileys with the same shortcut for them defined.

I did it as Tracy recommended it. I changed the code for the blue one and immediately all earlier blue ones appeared suddenly in yellow. Additionally I turned the blue one off in the ACP, so it does not appear in the editor choice with all the smilies.

Still one problem occured. The now yellow icons are not showing up in the email notifications, although they appear in the posting (of new posts made after the changes of course). What could be the reason for this?

Top Bottom