Wow IPS 4.2

big board owner here
10 year old forum
700,000 visitors per month

XF2 is a huge disapointment, missing so many features...

Also the quality of the code is not as good as XF1 most of the coding is done by chris with cleanups from mike

I will also start looking at moving my own site to IPS within the next 6 months

XF is now a failure in terms of modern forum software

big board owner here
10 year old forum
700,000 visitors per month

XF2 is a huge disapointment, missing so many features...

Also the quality of the code is not as good as XF1 most of the coding is done by chris with cleanups from mike

I will also start looking at moving my own site to IPS within the next 6 months

XF is now a failure in terms of modern forum software

what are your gripes with the XF2 code quality? It's much better than XF1 in that regard I'd say. I have some internal addons that took me months to develop with XF1, that I rewrote in weeks for XF2. It was much easier to get started.

Hopefully they will be sharing more details on future versions soon, but to my knowledge new features were never planned for the initial 2.0 release.

XF 1.5 user with millions of pageviews per month.

I'd rather see our pageviews go to 0 than move to IPB and suffer the pain of dealing with them every day.

Piss poor support and horrible communication. I highly recommend anyone that wishes to be more miserable in day to day life running a forum to head toward them. I hope my competitors move asap.

Edit: I fought tooth and nail for things in XF 2 that either didn't make it or still don't make me happy. It is why we are still on XF 1.5 waiting on XF 2.1. If 2.1 doesn't wow us we may still be on XF 1.5. That is ok. Our communities are strong and continue to grow. They are communities after all. I dread the day that XF bites off more than they can chew and starts down the path the ended up screwing vBulletin over. Too much, too fast and sloppy.

Stick to communities and provide an excellent framework for developers. XF 2, imo was a bit awkward with the what's new and trying to force people to view things they might not be interested in. I have faith in the team though and more than happy on the platform that currently exists with 1.5

Last edited:
XF 1.5 user with millions of pageviews per month.

I'd rather see our pageviews go to 0 than move to IPB and suffer the pain of dealing with them every day.

Piss poor support and horrible communication. I highly recommend anyone that wishes to be more miserable in day to day life running a forum to head toward them. I hope my competitors move asap.

Edit: I fought tooth and nail for things in XF 2 that either didn't make it or still don't make me happy. It is why we are still on XF 1.5 waiting on XF 2.1. If 2.1 doesn't wow us we may still be on XF 1.5. That is ok. Our communities are strong and continue to grow. They are communities after all. I dread the day that XF bites off more than they can chew and starts down the path the ended up screwing vBulletin over. Too much, too fast and sloppy.

Stick to communities and provide an excellent framework for developers. XF 2, imo was a bit awkward with the what's new and trying to force people to view things they might not be interested in. I have faith in the team though and more than happy on the platform that currently exists with 1.5

My experience with IPS has been the exact opposite. Their support has been prompt and very professional.

Just Upgraded from 4.2 Beta 4 to 4.2 Beta 5a I video taped it, entire process took only 3 minutes !

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I would really love to see this type of upload and upgrade within XF admin panel. I had suggested this feature about one year back. Now IPS already has it. I too think the development here is a tad slow. From a customers point of view, it seems to take ages to see a new feature come to XF. One thing you could improve with out much effort is to communicate with your customers on a weekly or monthly basis as to what is in store for XF in the near future. That will keep us excited. Communication is really important for any type of business.

I have a few IPS licenses and I can not fault them in terms of the quality of their software. 4.x forward has been leaps in features. In this recent patch, they've actually done a good job listening to their community feedback when it came to "subscriptions".

One of the most useful features that help integrate social media and IPS is the ability to link those social media accounts in the backend. Once you've accomplished this, you can then set users who you trust to "Promote" that content with the push of a button. Once that button is pushed, you can design how that post will look - including setting images. After that, the content is published directly to your social media page. So , no more copy and pasting. That one thing saves so much time and also helps push your community to your social media accounts which drives user interaction back to your forum. The embrace of social media by that development team is unparalleled. They really understand that it's social media that drives traffic to your forum - not the other way around like it use to be.

With that said, their customer service is still lacking for the price you pay. 99% of the issues I've had (bug related) they didn't understand the language I was using. I resorted to using OBS to take a video screen capture to show them and then things got a little better. Most of the responses to help I got were "That's beyond the scope of our support - please post in our community for help".

I also own a licnese of Woltlab and Alexander the lead developer is great. He's fast to respond to inquiries and even helped me with some custom coding for a front page.

Some features I personally like to have:

Thread Prefix -Xenforo has(multi prefixes as an addon), Woltlab has (multiple prefixes out of box), IPS doesn't have but has an addon that only supports one prefix.

Advanced Forms - Xenforo has (paid addon), IPS has (paid addon), Woltlab doesn't have that I'm aware

Join User Group - Xenforo has (paid addon), IPS doesn't have, Woltlab has out of the box

Promote to Social Media - Xenfor doesn't have (not that I'm aware), IPS has out of box, Woltlab doesn't have that I'm aware

Automated Actions - Xenforo doesn't have (not that I'm aware), IPS has (paid addon called Rules), Woltlab has called EZ Community Bot

So, you can see each has it's pro's and cons. I guess it depends on what you, the owner/admin want out of the software. It also depends on you the owner what you're willing to deal with in terms of customer service. Each software has it's own unique niche and end users.

For me, personally, I would switch everything to Xenforo if it had a great Automated Actions Bot like the EZ Community Bot in Woltlab and it had the Promote to Social Media like IPS has. Those two things for me would really make Xenforo great - but that's just me personally and everyone has their opinions on what they want to see in the software they choose to use. I guess that's why this discussion about "what is better" is really hard to decide because at the end of the day it depends on what individuals want out of it.

Good insights erich, can you elaborate more on what the automated actions actually are and how they're used? I've not encountered this before.

Automated Actions - Xenforo doesn't have (not that I'm aware), IPS has (paid addon called Rules), Woltlab has called EZ Community Bot

Good insights erich, can you elaborate more on what the automated actions actually are and how they're used? I've not encountered this before.

Sure, in Woltlab I used the EZ Community Bot. I could set up some conditions that I wanted to happen before that bot would execute whatever it is I wanted to do.

Example:
I set up a forum that used thread prefixes : "Open" "In Progress" "Closed"
When the new post was made by a user, the bot would automatically make a thread reply from me that would say "Thanks for opening an inquiry, myself or a staff member will respond shortly. - This is an automated reply"
It would then automatically apply a thread prefix to that thread - "Open"
Eventually when that person's issue was resolved - I would manually change the thread prefix to "Closed" - at that point the bot would automatically close the thread.

That's just an example of what the bot in Woltlab could do. I'm almost 100% you can do the same thing with the Automation Rules in IPS.

I'm actually surprised this isn't an addon in Xenforo. I've heard the line of "bloat" but why is it IPS and Woltlab can do it but Xen can't? Just a natural question.

Last edited:
Top Bottom