1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

worth getting refurbished ssd?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by maidos, Jan 2, 2011.

1. maidos

maidos Active Member

if its worth buying a ssd SLC that is refurbished and has been used for aroun3 months? the cost 671 usd and original cost 3700usd
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

if you could return it, no questions asked, within 1 week.
    Would it be important to know how many write cycles the unit has had ?
    I think SSDs are still tricky, with some working in some situations only.
  3. maidos

maidos Active Member

Write Bandwidth (MB/s): 750
    Read Bandwidth (MB/s): 700
    IOPS (mixed r/w): 88,000
    Latency (microsecond): 50
    Wear Leveling (yrs): 24
  4. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

Good deal if you can get and afford two. You'd be able to configure them in a RAID 1 mirror for failure protection for a third of the normal cost of one. But if you're only thinking about one, I'd never risk my data that way.
  5. maidos

maidos Active Member

really? even if the ssd is slc and not mlc? its a ssd pci card
    called iodrive 80gb by fusion io
  6. Digital Doctor

What's the SSD for ?
  7. maidos

maidos Active Member

apache and mysql... got 150 000 daily visitors on my vb forum
  8. FreshFroot

FreshFroot Well-Known Member

haven't seen a refurbished SSD yet... I thought they were built pretty well... guess not?

As for Fred's comment. I haven't had a HD fail at all for over 10 yrs. If you take care of them you'll be fine. But yes, you should still keep a backup somewhere. My data is usually small enough that I can burn it on a disc.

And now with bluray burners I can burn more data :D
  9. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

What make and model?

In general, SLC nand has an extremely high write/erase life (much greater than MLC).
  10. Jonathan Carl

Jonathan Carl Active Member

Holy crap, 750MB Read / 700 Write. I just purchased a 64 GB SSD the other day, it has 200 Read / 150 write. I gotta say the performance is nice. I can only imagine that drive in a raid.
  11. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

I've had drives fail, but memory fails more often. SSD isn't a mechanical drive which are actually more tolerant of electrical spikes; its memory. Either way your advice about backups is spot-on, but far too many companies have adequate backups, and even fewer still do random, periodic restores to verify their media.
  12. Jonathan Carl

13. Digital Doctor

Well, buying from the manufacturer allows you to return it if there are problems. My friends had a few die on them and just sent them back.

Is there a more cost effective way to get performance increases ?
  14. maidos

maidos Active Member

well the thing is that i got it from ebay and its refurbished. But the seller claimed it still got 8 months left warranty. but if i was to claim the warranty that would be an issue since the recipe will be under american address and im swedish lol. But so far so good with the io fusion

ive considered the ocz drive but it still cost too much and its only mlc and the drive is in raid 0. Wouldnt dare to use that into live production considering im using live data. But yeah im thinking of backup. since the company gave me 4 x 1.5 tb hdd despite i only use 80 gb in total lol. I just need a script that does auto backup from mysql
  15. Awesome-o

Awesome-o Active Member

150,000 uniques daily? wow!
  16. FreshFroot

FreshFroot Well-Known Member

So then if SSD has a higher chance of failure, what's the point ing etting them besides increased speeds?

I know I haven't had a mechanical drive fail on me in over 10 yrs.
  17. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

Then you're very lucky, heh
    My cousin once bought 4X raptors for a raid 0 array (he was young and naive), three failed within a year.
    Mine has just failed (the 300gb velociraptor), which is a real dissapointment, as it's only just over a year old..thankfully it's got a long warranty.
  18. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I've lost count of how many of my mechanical drives have failed over the years.

Now I only ever buy Seagate (no failures so far) and keep multiple backups of everything...just in case.
  19. Jonathan Carl

I purchased 2 500Gb Seagate barracudas and placed them in a Raid 0, within 6 months 1 drive died, and the other died3 months after.
  20. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

Samsung for me - fast, cheap and very reliable.

I've never had a drive fail on me, but the only one that has come close (and is still on the brink of failure) is the infamous 7200rpm 1.5TB Seagate disk.