worth getting refurbished ssd?

It's strange how hardware works for some people and not others.

I've had 4 Samsung drives fail and would never buy another one.

So then if SSD has a higher chance of failure, what's the point ing etting them besides increased speeds?

I know I haven't had a mechanical drive fail on me in over 10 yrs.
Disk I/O at memory speeds. No head seek latency. No bad block remapping. No I/O queue blocked processes. Your Linux swap space IS memory backing memory. No RAID write penalty and no speed penalties for file ioctls on files smaller than the filesystem block size.

When it comes to queuing systems, which all computers are, faster disks just doesn't mean faster data access, it means a faster all-around system by removing the most common bottleneck. It lets CPU and memory function more effeciently too.

Then you're very lucky, heh
My cousin once bought 4X raptors for a raid 0 array (he was young and naive), three failed within a year.
Mine has just failed (the 300gb velociraptor), which is a real dissapointment, as it's only just over a year old..thankfully it's got a long warranty.

I guess it depends on how they are used. I don't overuse mines and I let them cool during the night.

It's strange how hardware works for some people and not others.

I've had 4 Samsung drives fail and would never buy another one.

I think it's the method of how people use them. I mean if I buy a HD and have it writing 24/7. Compared to me writing to it only for 2-3 hrs per a day.

Then chances are the 24/7 is going to crash sooner or has a much higher chance.

So I see it as the usage and how people utilize their hardware and to what degree.

Then chances are the 24/7 is going to crash sooner or has a much higher chance.
I always understood that a drive which was on permanently and not constantly spinning up and down had less chance of failure.

Of course if a drive is on 24/7 then the mechanical parts are going to wear sooner than one which is only used for 20% of the time.

I guess it depends on how they are used. I don't overuse mines and I let them cool during the night.

True.
I don't use my raptor for heavy reads/writes, I use it as a boot drive for windows
Everything else, like games/videos/programs, are saved/stored on my D drive (WD Blue edition caviar)

Top Bottom