World of Discussions

Precision

World of Discussions - Gives Us Feedback Please :)

World of Discussions is a newly formed forum that was created for the purpose of the public to come, relax, and chat about whatever it is they want to. From world news and sports, to web design and development, we run a friendly and helpful environment. Topics are considered to be listed in the 'General' category, as well as some 'Web Development' threads for those needing help with things such as design, which hosting plans are right for you, marketing and advertising, and much more.

Future plans for World of Discussions are as follows:
  • We plan to have article contests once a month, in which the winner wins $50.00 cash prize.
  • We also be adding a Store for our graphic design offers, and Downloads section, which will contain various amounts of downloads ranging from software, to packages, and more, for all our members.
  • We also plan on expanding our forums, and uploading more avatars/smilies packages for our users.
  • Our administrators/moderators will be hosting drawings every so often for a chance to win software. For instance, we will be putting up a drawing for a free BitDefender (AV Software) in which the winner will receive a full product key.
  • We will also be trying our best to put up as many tutorials on just about anything you need help with, as we grow. So far, we've put up several Photoshop tutorials for those interested in graphics.
Apart from all that, we own a graphic design company known as Precision. Precision, as for now, creates logos and backgrounds for other user's websites. We're very experienced, have created ours as well as many others logo's, and hope to help more very soon. Prices vary depending on the work needed, however, Precision has a deal right now for 1 free logo to the first 5 customers. You can check out work done by Precision if you visit World of Discussions, and click the "Portfolio" page.
*PLEASE NOTE: No store mod has been added yet, if interested in purchasing from Precision, please visit the forums and post in "Request A Logo" thread.

Also, for members who have posted ten (10) or more times in our forums, we offer a "Post Exchange" as well as a "Promote Your Forum" thread in which users can promote there forums, and ask others for a 1:1 ratio for trading forum posts, so your newly formed forum can start growing as soon as possible.

*** We are looking for moderators, so please visit, and read our latest news announcement.

With all that said, we would like to hear any feedback from users about what you guys think. Any suggestions, or anything along those lines would help us out greatly, and we appreciate it. Thank you so much :).

Looks pretty good! Nice and clean and good theme, not a 100% keen on your font for your logo, think you had added inner shadow on it, just sticks out a little thats all!

Also good to see you using the cms mod, its such a beauty that mod!

Good idea with the competitions, I ran one on mine last months, gets people posting which is good!

You mentioned about a store mod as well, didnt know one was available for Xen yet, if so thats great I will be doing the same!! =)

GJ and il give it a cheeky register :P

Greg

Thank you so much :). Yeah I'm waiting for a store mod to be created :P, but in the meantime i'll keep building my portfolio. The logo I will be changing, I usually change it a lot. I'll definetely look into the text, I appreciate the signup :)

1. dark layout - hard on the eyes. Should use a light modern layout.
2. the logo is out of place (the colours are not 'repeated' in the main forum theme)
3. please consider using a fixed layout (or change this one). i have a wide screen and it's impossible to read something on a 1600 wide resolution.
4. you have a LOT of categories that are mainly empty. Need to start 5-10 threads AT LEAST in them.
5. right now I don't know what your main topic is. General chat? Webmaster forum?

I would try to find another theme for the forum. Something light, modern and elegant. Then solve the categories, post content, re-work the logo. Best of luck with the forums and keep us posted on its progress ;)

I guess you could say its a Web Design based forum, and we have a "general" topics area for people that wanna talk about other stuff.

The dark-theme I like, I guess it would be your personal opinion on the modern-light look, I would like to hear from others as well.

The categories, I'm trying to fill up as much as possible, and hopefully by the end of the week will have several threads started in each category.

I will take into consideration, however, the logo and the colors that aren't 'repeated' I will take a look.

I appreciate the feedback very much :).

[EDITED] What did you mean by logo being out of place?

Love the forum icons! Gorgeous.
Also like your dark breadcrumbs - elegant.
Nice idea to make the first intro forum without a category bar.

I quite liked your previous background. It was a bit bright in contrast to all the dark but that was OK really. Not 100% sure which is best so I guess that says both versions are good.

Where it says on the right "Online now ..." that blue is a shade lighter than your other links. Personally I find that more readable the lighter one) for example the small text on the right giving the latest post. But then I have weak eyes.

Maybe a tiny hint of bright green somewhere - a narrow line only? to match the squiggle in the top logo to balance it.

I've gone back for several looks and I keep feeling I want to see more graphic / image there.
Just something.
You could use the earth moon thing I have on my sidebar if you like. (Cover your eyes my design is very bright compared to yours!) But the earth moon thing would go with your forum icons just dandy. Its just a code snippet inserts in the sidebar code and you get Earth and Moon revolving real time. You can set background whatever you like.

Is that the Albums addon here you're using in your portfolio section?

Thank you so much for feedback, always feels good to hear some good things about your forum :).

The green-line idea I actually was in Photoshop trying to think of something to do all morning, because once I changed background, I too, saw that the line in the logo didn't represent anything. :P. I'm glad someone else realized that.

For the graphic / image you wanted to see somewhere, did you mean the Logo, Background, or Sidebar? Or all three :p?

I took a look at your moon / earth thing. Looks really really nice. I'm gonna try to create one though, as I love creating graphics :). But I may need to ask you about the code part eventually.

For my portfolio page, I used the "User Albums" mod that can be found in the Resources downloads page. It's very nice and greatly useful.

Thanks again so much. Let me know about my questions towards you as soon as you can :).

Green line - why not look in Style Properties? If you put a 1px border on something .... maybe on the bottom of the category bars - or would that be too much?
hmm maybe make links hover in that green? That'd be cool because it wouldn't intrude, just provide action when touched.
But it still needs a tiny bit on the static page.
Hmmm - wait - Jake Bunce does a cool thing where you can puyt a graphic on those cat bars far left. I'm not suggesting the lavish stuff I use not at all appropriate. But what about a small green dot?

Re the desire for more graphics I couldn't think of anything much on where. Just that I felt the need.

The earth moon I have is an easy addition. Here. It's not my code which is why it's clever - it actually follows the sun across the world.
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/earth-moon/

I'm not sure about what to do re albums. I have a custom addon - Library by Waindigo - to create pages with bbcode, with permissions. It will later add admin ability to design page templates so I think I'll hang in for that as user albums.

Thanks so much Morgain, I will take everything into consideration. Also, I'll sign up on ur site as soon as I get the free time :). Thanks so much again.

Giving away 4 copies of BitDefender 2012 (1 per month), all you need to do is sign-up to have a chance of winning...

@Precision - I'm not here to get into 'fights' with other members or annoy you. If you don't want some honest feedback, please mention this in the first post so that I can know I can only praise your site. :D

I actually lost time looking at your site, drafting my response and providing you FREE counsel, when my clients are actually paying for this. I am a web designer. It's MY JOB to know that dark backgrounds are not good, since they're tiresome for the eyes. I have done your mistakes 10 years ago, when I opened my first site. From that moment on I have clocked in thousands of design hours, have read many books and WROTE articles, tutorials and reviews to help the others.

Just think about this: if black / dark background is so cool and such a good idea, why most TOP sites have light backgrounds? Why do they use light grey and white? :)

So my personal opinion is that, as long as you're keeping that 'unfriendly' dark layout, you will hinder your growth. I don't even bother reading such sites just because, if I do this for 2 minutes, my eyes HURT. And my eyes are very important to me.

Your logo is 'displaced' since you don't have that neon green anywhere in the site (and I pray to god you won't have it).

I apologize for being such a pest, but it really gets on my nerves when people diss some decent advise like this. Had another guy tell me to get a bigger monitor, when I told him his header is huge and wasting a lot of 'premium' ad space.

It's your choice who you listen to and what you do, but, if you get some specific feedback, you should take it into account. Not all of us are writing to get our post count up, some of us work in this business and kinda know the stuff.

All the best with the forums and keep us posted on its progress :)

I wasn't trying to start a fight at all, I really appreciated your feedback. I was just waiting for others feedback about the colors, thus the "its your personal opinion" statement I wrote :P. I understand lighter sites are better, and I 100% will look into a light-style theme. The only reason I said it was your personal opinion also was because I look at sites like 8wayrun.com, who uses the same exact style, and they got thousands of members. Didn't mean anything argumentative about it, sorry if I did.

For the logo, I didn't know what you were talking about, cause to me, everything looked good, but now since you put it that way with the neon string, I see what your saying. The only reason I had that green line was to support the background, which you didn't like either hehe :P. But I was already in the process of creating a new one.

I really thank you for letting me know about these things. It makes me learn more, etc. If it weren't for bad feedback, I wouldn't have the few members I have now.... lol. So in a way, you helped me a lot. I just feel like crap, because my intentions weren't to get you rallied up :P. I was just trying to ask the questions, cause I didn't know, and you did.

So sorry for anything you took outta that to be aggressive, I didn't mean it like that :P.

Well, I have a short fuse myself, don't worry. Sorry for being a pest ;)

Really looking forward to see the improvements you'll make, cause I am sure there's gonna be more work on the site. Keeping my fingers crossed ;)

@Precision - I'm not here to get into 'fights' with other members or annoy you. If you don't want some honest feedback, please mention this in the first post so that I can know I can only praise your site. :D

I actually lost time looking at your site, drafting my response and providing you FREE counsel, when my clients are actually paying for this. I am a web designer. It's MY JOB to know that dark backgrounds are not good, since they're tiresome for the eyes. I have done your mistakes 10 years ago, when I opened my first site. From that moment on I have clocked in thousands of design hours, have read many books and WROTE articles, tutorials and reviews to help the others.

Just think about this: if black / dark background is so cool and such a good idea, why most TOP sites have light backgrounds? Why do they use light grey and white? :)

So my personal opinion is that, as long as you're keeping that 'unfriendly' dark layout, you will hinder your growth. I don't even bother reading such sites just because, if I do this for 2 minutes, my eyes HURT. And my eyes are very important to me.

Your logo is 'displaced' since you don't have that neon green anywhere in the site (and I pray to god you won't have it).

I apologize for being such a pest, but it really gets on my nerves when people diss some decent advise like this. Had another guy tell me to get a bigger monitor, when I told him his header is huge and wasting a lot of 'premium' ad space.

It's your choice who you listen to and what you do, but, if you get some specific feedback, you should take it into account. Not all of us are writing to get our post count up, some of us work in this business and kinda know the stuff.

All the best with the forums and keep us posted on its progress :)

What do you think of these 2 skins as I was going to buy them for my website : xenFracture - Fixed Width or Fluid Width //Resurgent - Fixed Width or Fixed Background, Fluid Width or which 2 of the 4 would you pick : https://xenstyles.com/customers/signup.php

*Few Updates - February 12th, 2012

Took into consideration changing the skin to light, and I love it, thanks so much for the advice dojo. Take a look see what you think :).

I also added a Download section, and a $50 Contest section so it's easier for viewers to find.

Changed theme to blue instead of red, thought it was better.

Any thoughts?

Was wondering if I could get some help. Had my site open for just about a month now, and I only had a few people sign up... A lot of them were my friends, to start the forum, and get it going. But only so few were real visitors... I don't get what I'm doing wrong.

Any ideas to help me out? I have contests for money and software open, I figured it would attract people, but no help so far...

Top Bottom