World of Discussions

It's slow Precision, that's the first thing. Sorry to sound prosy but you have to be patient. It tajkes months to build a basic membership.

Try joining some email lists and other forums, or comment on blogs ... trailing the URL and your signature.
Don't exploit this as then you won't seem likable or interesting enough for people to click the link. Write at least a short message just as you'd want someone to do on your community. Keep doing the rounds and get your image known.
Use a consistent avatar, or recognisable wording in the signatures.

It comes as a trickle then later if you're lucky it comes faster.

Thanks Morgain, your always such a huge help :), I forgot all about e-mail lists. I think my brother-in-law has some, I'm gonna ask him. The signature idea I did get started on, and I am posting on a couple forums. It seems like i get the traffic, just not the sign-ups :P. But I'll keep waiting, I guess I have no patience cause im so excited :). Thanks a lot!

Try searching yahoo groups for likely possibilities that match your kind of people.
There's some kind of groups on google too.

I'd keep a list and put them in blocks of say 10 or 15. Visit that many in a week, and move that block to the bottom, giving it the date of your visit.

Okay will do, started searching now.

What do you mean by groups? I tried searching and I found like 'job' groups, etc. Maybe you can help me if I tell you what i'm searching for.

Say I wanted to search for Digital Design groups or a group where people like to talk in Forums. What would I do from there? I never used this group stuff, don't really understand it :(. Sorry

Had another little look, here are some points:

* You have to offer something different to users. There are hundreds of thousands of forums out there, what do you offer users which these dont?
* Not going to lie, not a big fan of the new logo..Very hard to read especially with the white layout.
* Too many boards, lower the limit of boards until you get a fan base of returning members, the boards with 0 in dont look good to potential members.
* Get a SEO plugin and start offering content =)

There just a couple of pointers for you.

Hey, thanks for the feedback Greg. I shortened the forums by about 6 topics so far, and I'm adding more content today. For offering, right now we're giving away $50 and free paid-software. For the logo, I just changed, and I would like to get ur feedback on it. What do you think?

Updates:
  1. Changed the forum categories to more of a "General - Off Topic".
  2. Edited the Logo
  3. Took away Contest for lack of members
  4. May take away graphics in future

OOOPS! Never never give your exiusting members the message they are inadequate!
Your current red notice looks ANGRY! - the front page.
YOu think you're talking about people who are not being active but that notice is reaching EVERYONE and what it says is your admin is PISSED OFF and TAKING AWAY the promised prize.

Make it a quiet black font message:
We have decided to extend trhe period of the Competition because new members are slowly coming in now so we want to let them join in.
We'll keep reminding you the Competition is still running until May 1st.

Always remember to think what EACH member group will feel when reading a general message.
Never use more than 3 words in red. It's aggressive.

Hey morgain, thanks for the heads up. Just edited it with black text. The logo I kind of out-grown it, and didn't like it to much. The earth was nice, but it kind of looked like a sloppy cut-out image :(. I will look into another font to use for the logo, thanks :)

Thanks, I think i'm finally some-what happy with the logo. The style, I think I'm going to buy one very soon, as I don't like that there's not borders around some things. For instance, the home-page the news announcements just look like they're written on the content background instead of 'in-blocks'.

Updated skin. Finally payed for one :) by my friends over at XenStyles.

I like the look a lot. It's Rare that you see a 'greenish' site. It's actually pretty cool. The 3 ideas you have for notices are good too, hopefully it'll bring members in for you.

Like everyone else said, it's pretty tough to start a 'General' forums, rather than a focused subject-forum. But once General forums get big, they can talk about anything they want, so in the long run it winds up being very helpful. Just getting started, and taking off sucks (I too created an off-topic forum before). But mine did good, it just takes time.

Good luck with everything. I'll create an account and post, help ya out a bit :). I like the community

(y)(y)(y)

Top Bottom