WordPress + XF + feeds

Netsultants

I have a website, allergychat.org

I like the css and style of the home page and want WP functionality in the area Allergy Articles. I want the Allergy News section to pull feeds on allergy news. I also want an area right above it for recent XF posts.

Is anyone incorporating these features or can provide guidance?

Thanks Brogan

Have you or anyone else used them? I'd like to see examples. I'm replying here before I've looked at those threads so I'll check them for links to live sites.

I just looked at it. The site looks great btw. One thing I didn't consider is I thought there would be a way to create an rss feed for allergy news and I don't see it in google or bbc. I do see it for F1 though!

I understand that I can add any rss feed, but I think there needs to be an rss feed and I don't see one on the respective sites. I see "health" on bbc. I thought I'd be able to create a custom one that scraped allergy news.

Just a word of warning... The latest Google algorithm seems to be targeted to take a dim view of that sort of content scraping. Not that you mean ill by it, but you might want to consider it and read up on the algo change before setting that up.

:: tosses two shiny coins in hat ::

I understand that I can add any rss feed, but I think there needs to be an rss feed and I don't see one on the respective sites. I see "health" on bbc. I thought I'd be able to create a custom one that scraped allergy news.
Surely there are some allergy related sites which do RSS feeds?
The sites linked to in my thread are news and motorsport so really have nothing at all to do with allergies.

A quick Google search found this: http://www.allergymatters.com/index.html / https://www.allergymatters.com/allergyRssFeed.xml
I'm sure there are many others.

Just a word of warning... The latest Google algorithm seems to be targeted to take a dim view of that sort of content scraping.
If that's the case then anyone using the built in Feeder system is going to suffer the same way.

I'm fairly sure using RSS feeds in this way isn't going to have any effect but if it does, so what.
My members find it extremely useful and I design the site for them, not Google.

Understood, and we have a feed that we use on our site as well. It's there to be useful to our members, but as not everyone follows the details of SE algo changes, I thought it might be worth a mention. We've got friends that run sites that have lost huge percentages of their search engine (organic) traffic due to the latest change, so it's something to keep in mind. As always YMMV widely, every site and community is different, but it doesn't hurt to keep aware of changes in the SE landscape. :)

True.

Although my approach to SEO these days is the same as my new approach to home cinema and computers.
I used to spend hours calibrating, measuring, optimising, checking reverb characteristics, etc.

Now I just switch them on and use them :D

Top Bottom