Wordpress now powers 18.9% of the web, can Xenforo afford to ignore it?

I'm betting most of the WP Blogs are either abandoned or neglected blogs. I recently had a discussion with @DRE about blogging and it seems taking into account most WP blogs are neglected/abandoned (I could be wrong here) and add in the factor that most forum blogging gets overlooked/unused I don't think xenforo is missing out too much, not as much as it may appear to the 1 in 5 sites runs WP statistics.
Many people are using WP as a CMS platform for an article(s) website. You can call it a blog, or whatever, but this is the most powerful CMS currently available.

Wordpress is an awesomely powerful tool, and I won't doubt any figures like that. I hardly ever use wordpress though, as I like forums a lot, and WP lacks a good forum plugin. But when I do use WP, I am yet to use it for blogging, I use it for running sites and things. As people have said earlier, a good XF - WP bridge could possibly bring in a lot more people to XF. It would certainly convince me to buy a license of my own.

I would like it if there was a functional mod that would at least connect the WP site to the Xenforo site and allow only forum members to comment on news posts on the main site. Right now I use WP with Disqus for that, but even then, I don't like it much since it doesn't direct users to my forums.

Those bridges are already out, have a look at this one: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xf-wordpress-bridge.1833/

As for the original inquiry, this might be coming up soon. The main issue is the that WordPress and xenForo both encrypt passwords differently.

I used to be a WordPress lover and an evangelist for a long time. But a few months ago, I decided to ditch WordPress from our site (it continued to be our front end for several years). We had developed quite awesome backlinks (naturally!). I decided to ditch all of that in favor of 100% xenForo. I must say I'd not be happier.

After removing WordPress-
  1. I found that the load on the server is down.
  2. I no longer have to create content at two different places [WordPress & XenForo]
  3. I no longer had to worry about integration - user logins, cross posting
  4. I no longer had to worry about the styling issues.
  5. I no longer had to update WordPress plugins; and reinstall updates just two days later.
  6. I no longer had to create separate logins for our editorial team members.
  7. I no longer had to train people how to use the WordPress system.
In short, life became easier. I'm happy with xenPorta (minus the support it gets from the developers) and would vote for a dedicated, simple; better version of xenPorta developed as a core add-on from XenForo. I hope @Mike & @Kier would be reading this.

What's even more important is that my productivity after removing WordPress has skyrocketed! With all the time saved; I can now focus more on growing community and not solving the WP related issues.

I think WordPress may work very fine on stand-alone blogs. But for websites that want to have a CMS + Forum setup; I think xenForo extension that acts like a CMS would be the most obvious step.

I used to be a WordPress lover and an evangelist for a long time. But a few months ago, I decided to ditch WordPress from our site (it continued to be our front end for several years). We had developed quite awesome backlinks (naturally!). I decided to ditch all of that in favor of 100% xenForo. I must say I'd not be happier.

After removing WordPress-
  1. I found that the load on the server is down.
  2. I no longer have to create content at two different places [WordPress & XenForo]
  3. I no longer had to worry about integration - user logins, cross posting
  4. I no longer had to worry about the styling issues.
  5. I no longer had to update WordPress plugins; and reinstall updates just two days later.
  6. I no longer had to create separate logins for our editorial team members.
  7. I no longer had to train people how to use the WordPress system.
In short, life became easier. I'm happy with xenPorta (minus the support it gets from the developers) and would vote for a dedicated, simple; better version of xenPorta developed as a core add-on from XenForo. I hope @Mike & @Kier would be reading this.

What's even more important is that my productivity after removing WordPress has skyrocketed! With all the time saved; I can now focus more on growing community and not solving the WP related issues.

I think WordPress may work very fine on stand-alone blogs. But for websites that want to have a CMS + Forum setup; I think xenForo extension that acts like a CMS would be the most obvious step.

Hi, thanks for this. It's very interesting take on things. I was just curious why your superblog is not on xenforo as well? Aren't there blogging addons? Why not use those?

Xenforo should make a Blog / Homepage / Portal virtually identical to Wordpress.
$50 addon.
We've had the [Home] link long enough .. time to use it !
My random guess is Xenforo 2.0 will have it.

My life changed after I found Wordpress :cool:
I now run four blogs on it, update each at least once a month.
Another reason it is so popular is that it is FREE!!
I've never spend a dime on any of my Wordpress software, themes or addons.
Of course one-button updates for Wordpress and the add-ons is also amazing!

Steve

xenForo either needs to provide a Wordpress like solution for xenForo or provide seamless integration with it. The ability to create more than just a forum with the simplicity of Wordpress' blogging platform would be huge for many sites.
It doesnt NEED to. You may as well say "XenForo needs to provide an e-Commerce system because there are X e-Commerce sites out there".

Any bridging or integration with 3rd party software is not something that should be integrated with the core product - ever. Theres no reason or need for it when it can be added as an addon. The same applies if XenForo ever gets its own CMS or Blog - there is no need for it to be part of the core product.

It doesnt NEED to. You may as well say "XenForo needs to provide an e-Commerce system because there are X e-Commerce sites out there".

Any bridging or integration with 3rd party software is not something that should be integrated with the core product - ever. Theres no reason or need for it when it can be added as an addon. The same applies if XenForo ever gets its own CMS or Blog - there is no need for it to be part of the core product.

It is my opinion they need to. If they like growth and money that is. You are welcome to your own of course :)

Having a CMS IS important to XenForo. When it is developed and released however is another matter ;)

Isn't XenPorta close to a CMS? Or not good enough?
What's the difference then? Is XenPorta more of a front or landing page?
Help me out here someone?
Thanks

Isn't XenPorta close to a CMS? Or not good enough?
What's the difference then? Is XenPorta more of a front or landing page?
Help me out here someone?
Thanks

xenPorta doesn't provide it's own content types. It just re-styles your posts and is able to categorize them on it's own. A "content managing system" should provide multiple content types and allow you to make more. On top of that it should provide you with the right tools to manage those types. Some may even say that wordpress isn't exactly a CMS and much more of just a blogging software. Drupal and Joomla would be considered full-fledged CMS but they just don't have the same following, and I believe you can accomplish almost anything with WordPress.

You can send me a PM. I didn't receive any sort of message from you on this site, or I would have replied.
The Wordpress plugin thread is full of questions. I guess if you publish the add-on here, you should answer questions/provide support as well.

Top Bottom