Not a bug Wording of Captca turn on-off in Options

craigiri

I'm not sure if this is a difference between Brit and American English, but the options in User Registration says:

"Enable CAPTCHA for Guests"

In plain english, this would normally mean "do you want guest to the board to have to do CAPTCHA"?

If, as I suspect, it really means "Enable CAPTCHA for Registration", then it should say it that way.

Right - which is why I suggested it should be the end sentence there:
"Enable CAPTCHA for Registration"

Using the word guests anywhere in that phrase is confusing. By definition, anyone registering is - at that point - a guest.

Note - is easily changed in the phrases, but once an admin knows what it means the point is moot anyway!

You have to keep in mind that some boards allow guests to post threads and replies, so selecting this option will toggle the captcha on and off for those guests that are posting replies and threads in addition to registration. There are also other features a guest may use such as the contact form.

Right - which is why I suggested it should be the end sentence there:
"Enable CAPTCHA for Registration"

Using the word guests anywhere in that phrase is confusing. By definition, anyone registering is - at that point - a guest.

Note - is easily changed in the phrases, but once an admin knows what it means the point is moot anyway!
Enable CAPTCHA for Registration would be incorrect.

The setting you mention enables CAPTCHA for Guests upon actions that require CAPTCHA authorisation - this isn't limited to registration. If you allow guests to post on your forum, they have to fill in a CAPTCHA if the CAPTCHA for Guests option is enabled. There are other actions too, therefore, the wording needs to stay the same.

Top Bottom