[WMTech] User Blocking System

[WMTech] User Blocking System [Paid] 1.0.3

No permission to buy ($39.00)
XenForo 1.5

Code:
Server Error

Missing following state for user ID 2239 in user 1

XenForo_Model_User->passesPrivacyCheck() in XenForo/Model/UserProfile.php at line 117
XenForo_Model_UserProfile->canViewFullUserProfile() in WMTech/BlockUsers/Model/UserProfile.php at line 34
WMTech_BlockUsers_Model_UserProfile->canViewFullUserProfile() in XenForo/Model/ProfilePost.php at line 516
XenForo_Model_ProfilePost->canViewProfilePostAndContainer() in XenForo/WarningHandler/ProfilePostComment.php at line 14
XenForo_WarningHandler_ProfilePostComment->_canView() in XenForo/WarningHandler/Abstract.php at line 15
XenForo_WarningHandler_Abstract->canView() in XenForo/ControllerPublic/Member.php at line 744
XenForo_ControllerPublic_Member->actionWarn() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/domains/public_html/index.php at line 13

XenForo 1.5

Code:
Server Error

Missing following state for user ID 2239 in user 1

XenForo_Model_User->passesPrivacyCheck() in XenForo/Model/UserProfile.php at line 117
XenForo_Model_UserProfile->canViewFullUserProfile() in WMTech/BlockUsers/Model/UserProfile.php at line 34
WMTech_BlockUsers_Model_UserProfile->canViewFullUserProfile() in XenForo/Model/ProfilePost.php at line 516
XenForo_Model_ProfilePost->canViewProfilePostAndContainer() in XenForo/WarningHandler/ProfilePostComment.php at line 14
XenForo_WarningHandler_ProfilePostComment->_canView() in XenForo/WarningHandler/Abstract.php at line 15
XenForo_WarningHandler_Abstract->canView() in XenForo/ControllerPublic/Member.php at line 744
XenForo_ControllerPublic_Member->actionWarn() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/domains/public_html/index.php at line 13

We're in the process of checking and updating all our add-ons for XF 1.5 and plan to be ready once XF 1.5 finishes it's beta status.

The first updated add-on for XF 1.5 has already been released yesterday:
[WMTech] Personal Like Statistics

Please note, that we neither recommend nor support our add-ons to be used with beta software.

wmtech updated [WMTech] User Blocking System with a new update entry:

v1.0.1: XF 1.5 Compatibility & New Support for XFMG, Showcase and XenZine Articles

> Version 1.0.1 <
XF 1.5 Compatibility & New Support for XFMG, Showcase and XenZine Articles.

This upgrade is recommended for all customers.

Changelog:

NEW: XF 1.5 Compatibility (Tag System)

NEW:
Support for XenForo Media Gallery

NEW:
Support for Showcase by XenAddons

NEW: Support for XenZine Articles

Upgrade Instructions:...

Read the rest of this update entry...

No, but there is already another add-on for this. Created by Syndol, now distributed by Waindigo. Called Force-Ignore. You may try it.

We also think about adding that feature to this add-on in one of the next releases. Seems like a natural extension for it.
This answer was in response to the following question:
Is there an option for admins to block two members from each other?
This does not appear to have been added to the product in the last release, or at least I can't find a way to do this. Can you please add a feature for admins to force users to block another user.

Also can you add a permission for people to be able to not be able to remove a user from their blocked list? So basically one permission to enable the ability to block users and then another permission for the ability to unblock.

When configuring the add-on there are the following settings for "Disable Unhiding of Hidden Content For Blocked or Ignored Users?"
  • Never Show Content if Board is Enhanced for Blocking
  • Never Show Content To Anyone Even if Board is Not Enhanced
I'm not clear on the difference between these two settings given the extra word "Anyone" since a user placing a block on another user shouldn't affect "anyone" from seeing the content of the blocked user. The only thing that makes sense with the wording of this option is that the "Anyone" option would seem to continue blocking content even if the add-on is disabled which doesn't make sense. So... what exactly does the "Anyone" option do???

Thanks for that, but can you clarify:

However, having tried the functionality several times I found that it didn't accomplish the desired outcome. At all. YMMV.

Do you mean that if you forced two users to ignore each other that it did implement a block, or that you found the "force ignore" add-on to work as expected in general?

And to save some testing time... have you tried any other add-ons that did not accomplish the goal successfully?

It did force users to ignore each other, which had unexpected consequences - one or both members involved made it clear that they took exception to being moderated in this way.

There is no good way that I've found to force ignore on two members who want to engage each other. One or both of them has to want to ignore the other.

I find Thread Banning to be a mixed bag - sometimes it works as expected but other times it just creates more problems.

One thing that helps more generally is the "move posts to a conversation functionality" I suggested for the core here and which has been added to Moderator Essentials in the meantime. Moving offending posts between two members to a conversation instead of deleting them, and then discussing the issue with them both at the same time seems to have a better chance of defusing the situation while decreasing the likelihood of one or both members rage quitting.

It did force users to ignore each other, which had unexpected consequences - one or both members involved made it clear that they took exception to being moderated in this way.

There is no good way that I've found to force ignore on two members who want to engage each other. One or both of them has to want to ignore the other.

I find Thread Banning to be a mixed bag - sometimes it works as expected but other times it just creates more problems.

One thing that helps more generally is the "move posts to a conversation functionality" I suggested for the core here and which has been added to Moderator Essentials in the meantime. Moving offending posts between two members to a conversation instead of deleting them, and then discussing the issue with them both at the same time seems to have a better chance of defusing the situation while decreasing the likelihood of one or both members rage quitting.
Thanks for the insights, you make some interesting points.

I don't see that feature mentioned in the Moderator Essentials add-on are you sure it is not part of another add-on you have installed at TAZ? I'm not interested in any other features of that add-on at the moment as I don't have any other mods or admins at this point and I'm not sure I want to pay $45 for it to find nothing useful in it.

Thanks

I don't see that feature mentioned in the Moderator Essentials add-on are you sure it is not part of another add-on you have installed at TAZ?
I feel bad bringing this to another add-on discussion thread but yes that is in fact a feature of Moderator Essentials. I haven't updated the overview of Moderator Essentials (or User Essentials or Conversation Essentials honestly) in several months despite several new features.

If you look through the new features over the past year, you'll realize there are a lot of new things being added and not getting added to the overview. I should really fix that. I think, though, that if you look through the updates and the full feature list, you'll realize there are a lot of useful features for your staff. I appreciate that the $45 price tag is hefty, but I feel I've priced it fairly for everything that is offered.

I don't want to derail another add-on discussion thread though, so if you have any further questions feel free to message me or ask in the Moderator Essentials discussion thread.

@wmtech this does not block users from seeing comments in private Conversations that both blocked users were already in when the block was put in place. I suspect this is also true if a member who can see both users attempts to start a conversation that includes both of them after the block is put in place.

This does not appear to have been added to the product in the last release, or at least I can't find a way to do this. Can you please add a feature for admins to force users to block another user.

There are already add-ons for that purpose. We won't convert this add-on into a moderation tool. It is simply a tool for members to be able to block other user(s) on their own choice.

You may try the free "Force Ignore" add-on (see below) or @Daniel Hood s paid Moderator Essentials to get better moderation tools.

Also can you add a permission for people to be able to not be able to remove a user from their blocked list? So basically one permission to enable the ability to block users and then another permission for the ability to unblock.

We won't add that feature, sorry. A member who blocks another member should be able to release his block again. As said, this add-on is not a moderation tool.

When configuring the add-on there are the following settings for "Disable Unhiding of Hidden Content For Blocked or Ignored Users?"
  • Never Show Content if Board is Enhanced for Blocking
  • Never Show Content To Anyone Even if Board is Not Enhanced
I'm not clear on the difference between these two settings given the extra word "Anyone" since a user placing a block on another user shouldn't affect "anyone" from seeing the content of the blocked user. The only thing that makes sense with the wording of this option is that the "Anyone" option would seem to continue blocking content even if the add-on is disabled which doesn't make sense. So... what exactly does the "Anyone" option do???

"Anyone" refers to both blocked members only. Of course any other members are not affected. We will correct the phrase in the next release.

This option allows you to decide if blocked content could be revealed (or not) if you did not activate the "Enhancement For Blocking" our add-on provides.

There is an add-on that does this: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/force-ignore-by-waindigo.1907/ but it's not maintained. You could ask Audentio if they have any plans for it.

This is the add-on I wrote about above. It was created by Syndol and bought by Waindigo (now Audentio).
However, as @The Sandman mentioned, it is not perfect.

@wmtech this does not block users from seeing comments in private Conversations that both blocked users were already in when the block was put in place. I suspect this is also true if a member who can see both users attempts to start a conversation that includes both of them after the block is put in place.

This is correct. This add-on only stops a new conversation to be started between blocked users. If you block a user and do not want to continue an already started conversation with him, you may just leave the conversation.

Also we cannot block a conversation started by a third user who wants to include 2 users blocking each other. Because the third user does not know about the block. If this happens it also is the choice of the blocking user to leave that conversation or not.

Last edited:
This is correct. This add-on only stops a new conversation to be started between blocked users. If you block a user and do not want to continue an already started conversation with him, you may just leave the conversation.

Also we cannot block a conversation started by a third user who wants to include 2 users blocking each other. Because the third user does not know about the block. If this happens it also is the choice of the blocking user to leave that conversation or not.
Is there any technical reason why it does not include conversations and instead forces users to take the additional step of leaving a conversation? That leaves a pretty significant hole for harassment open if a blocked users friend starts a convo with a blocking user and then posts attacking comments before the blocking user sees and leaves the conversation.

I can understand the conversation being allowed to be started, but the block should still have an effect on the posts in the conversation.

Also, we have discovered that this does not appear to affect users on Tapatalk at all.

Also, we have discovered that this does not appear to affect users on Tapatalk at all.

As with most add-ons, this one is also not compatible with TapaTalk. TapaTalk does not respect any XenForo coding.

If you have to use TapaTalk, you really should not install any additional add-ons at all.

That leaves a pretty significant hole for harassment open

If a user harasses another user, it would be a situation for your moderation team. Again, it is not the intention of our add-on to calm down users who are fighting. There are a lot of situations where some user does not want another user to be able to read his posts. Or simply hide from the other user. This is what our add-on is for.

Last edited:
Hi @wmtech I have ran into an issue with this and was wondering if you could help?
We bought this upon release and it works amazing but we've just hit a snag..
The following, has no effect when being blocked as far as the 'followers' tab is concerned.

So user B follows user A. User A blocks user B... User B still shows on user A's following list, including avatar etc.
Is there a way it can be managed to blocked users are automatically removed as followers?
Thank you

Top Bottom