Windows 8 (plan B) Return of the Desktop & StartBar

One of my wife's clients use Win8, and she hates using it. Says it's very difficult to do anything, find programs or access settings.

Doesn't sound too good.

It is, it's just so unintuitive that it gets to the point your sitting there trying to do something and a stumped look falls upon your face when it doesn't do what you intended to do. Add in trying to install stuff (my own experience) it was the steam client in this case and pop-ups galore where popping up saying I couldn't install it or any other program.

I embrace change, haven't got a problem with anything progressing (because we always seem to hear this silly argument from people). Take Android for example, an OS that has improved greatly and made great progress with each version so change isn't a problem for me, but when that change is simply downright crap, and this is only how I can describe Win8, it deserves its harsh critique not because it changed to be different, because it's just downright badly designed, user unfriendly and most of all gimmicky.

It's bad and that's me paying it a compliment. :D

*Watches kid freaking out because his mum closed his WOW account vid again*

:cry:Sorry to hear it. Hope things turn out for the better, rather than get worse. And if that path is unavoidable.... I've been down it and wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
What.. being out of tequila? :D
Wife and I have been married since 1984 and are just as happy (in fact, happier) now than then. :love:
Heck, she even reminded me that there was a new map pack out for Black Ops II and that I needed to download it. Gotta love a woman like that!

What.. being out of tequila? :D
Wife and I have been married since 1984 and are just as happy (in fact, happier) now than then. :love:
Heck, she even reminded me that there was a new map pack out for Black Ops II and that I needed to download it. Gotta love a woman like that!
Sometime I'm 1/2 optimistic and sometimes I'm 1/2 pessimistic.... Sometimes the glass is 1/2 full, 1/2 empty, and something its just full with something.

Clearly I misread something. Oops. :oops:

Good to know all is well in your world though. :)

Sometime I'm 1/2 optimistic and sometimes I'm 1/2 pessimistic.... Sometimes the glass is 1/2 full, 1/2 empty, and something its just full with something.

Clearly I misread something. Oops. :oops:

Good to know all is well in your world though. :)
It's always half empty to me!

You're not the only one, I also like Windows 8.
Me too. And I'm mostly Mac user!

I love my W8 laptop, got used to it without start menu and now I don't want to see that menu come back. Metro layout is very easy to use, it just takes some time to get used to.

I don't understand why people want start menu, navigation is just one gesture away. Swipe screen from right side - metro main page with apps. You can customize it to pin your favorite apps at start. Swipe from bottom, you get list of all available apps and can drag them to main page. Its a major improvement over old start button.

I love my W8 laptop, got used to it without start menu and now I don't want to see that menu come back. Metro layout is very easy to use, it just takes some time to get used to.

I don't understand why people want start menu, navigation is just one gesture away. Swipe screen from right side - metro main page with apps. You can customize it to pin your favorite apps at start. Swipe from bottom, you get list of all available apps and can drag them to main page. Its a major improvement over old start button.

I think the only time I would personally want to swipe if I need to go to the loo.

That's the plan, but sometimes I like to shake things up a little and approach it from the side and then really swiping in all directions resulting in a nice clean UI (my backside which what win8 is imo) :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I tried this, but the deep pile carpet didn't quite get to those hard to reach places so I moved on to good ole oak laminate flooring. It's all about the "Surface".

Sorry for this post, it's silly I know. :D

Microsoft had many opportunities to bring back the [START] menu. People complained from the start they wanted it back. Desktops with no start menu ? Pathetic. Microsoft really sucks. It's almost like they have given up or something. It's hard to say what else could go wrong for them.

Microsoft had many opportunities to bring back the [START] menu. People complained from the start they wanted it back. Desktops with no start menu ? Pathetic. Microsoft really sucks. It's almost like they have given up or something. It's hard to say what else could go wrong for them.
Fedora 18 (GNOME and KDE) are on my VMware Workstation looking really good right now. :LOL:

Wow, I have not picked up a RedHat, Inc. product since Windows ME. My fellow IT co-workers laughed at me. I knew I should of invested $6 a share.
RedHat, Inc. NYSE: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=RHT :whistle:

Regardless of whether or not it's better than the old behavior (certainly a matter of opinion), it's different than before, and people don't like change.

Then how did Windows survive before 95? How has Mac OS survived? All of those operating systems had no Start menu and still don't.

Then how did Windows survive before 95? How has Mac OS survived? All of those operating systems had no Start menu and still don't.

Not by building crap. Every now and again a company will build something great and make a killing on it in the way of many purchases and getting rich which allows them to bring out bad stuff (win8) and kind of give them some time and leg room for mistakes. Basically living off the glory days now where have we seen this?

Companies don't always get things right but then all they need is to create some innovation from the past and if that becomes a great seller they can live off that for a good number of years producing crap after crap after crap. Don't get e wrong, there are things about win8 I do think are great... the shutdown feature being one of them. :P

I could write and produce a documentary of your questions. However, Apple did not survive. Look it up. Then back track how Mcrosoft survived. 1997 MAC World Boston speech by Steve Jobs on YouTube, that will be the easiest starting point if you do not like reading about the corporate software eco-system. :)

It didnt really matter so much before Windows 95 as there werent enough applications to warrant a place to view them all other than in the desktop folder grid thing they had in 3.1. IIRC Mac OS simply had an applications folder.

I could write and produce a documentary of your questions. However, Apple did not survive. Look it up. Then back track how Mcrosoft survived. 1997 MAC World Boston speech by Steve Jobs on YouTube, that will be the easiest starting point if you do not like reading about the corporate software eco-system. :)
I know about Microsoft's investment in Apple in 1997. I remember how complicated Apple's product lineup used to be back then, they had completely lost their original vision.

Seriously? That's just.... sad.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but how on earth would anyone allow a single game or any game(s) to control their life.
MMO developers are VERY good at engagement and exercise-reward loops. Your characters get built up over years with history, accomplishments, player housing / guild halls where you have all your "stuff". An MMO is like a second house, and nobody wants to walk away from an investment.

Most MMO games have gone Free-to-Play so that everything's a la carte. You can login and play X amount for free, but certain things need unlocks. WoW is one of the last holdouts, sticking to $15/month.

MMO developers are VERY good at engagement and exercise-reward loops. Your characters get built up over years with history, accomplishments, player housing / guild halls where you have all your "stuff". An MMO is like a second house, and nobody wants to walk away from an investment.

Most MMO games have gone Free-to-Play so that everything's a la carte. You can login and play X amount for free, but certain things need unlocks. WoW is one of the last holdouts, sticking to $15/month.
No.... A house is a house. A digital world is something I can delete at will and discontinue without little or no notice.

I don't see it as an investment. An investment has long term gain. And its often something I can pass down to someone else.

Top Bottom