Win 8 tablet any good?

Anyone get a win 8 tablet? Is it any good?
Do you mean the Surface?

It is really good, I went through the Microsoft Store to check one, and it feels really nice. Go for the real keyboard and then you have a tablet with which you can actually type at a decent speed. The UI is fine (new Metro interface) and it runs what you would expect (games, browsing)

The killer for me was the fact that the keyboard has a trackpad, and you can enable a mouse in the tablet when using it in that mode. That could let you use applications that require more precision that what you can acomplish with the touch interface. The camera is pretty good and they compensated for the fact that it is tilted a little. The cases are like the iPad smart cover on steroids.

The gestures might throw you off, Microsoft improved over the iPad gestures and they have "over the edge" gestures meaning not only the screen. They feel a lot natural after a while. I browsed a little (even opened XenForo!) and it loads pretty nice.

I own a surface RT. My dad also uses one. My sister also uses one.

The surface RT includes MS Office 2013 and has the MS latest browser. Anyone who basically uses Office and surfs will find the package excellent. For example, flash is not a problem. Sites using Twenty Eleven WP themes (a huge number of blogs) load fine - even in portrait mode. FWIW -- Portrait on the surface is far superior to the Apple iPad (which I use at work).

I own a surface RT. My dad also uses one. My sister also uses one.

The surface RT includes MS Office 2013 and has the MS latest browser. Anyone who basically uses Office and surfs will find the package excellent. For example, flash is not a problem. Sites using Twenty Eleven WP themes (a huge number of blogs) load fine - even in portrait mode. FWIW -- Portrait on the surface is far superior to the Apple iPad (which I use at work).
Interesting take. I kept away from Win 8 ever since I saw it fail twice during its launch presentation by Windows.

I'll be checking into the Pro version, since the current one doesn't offer much in the way of VPN client options which I would more than likely be using due to work.

Top Bottom