Will you be creating an importer for phpBB?

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I know phpBB isn't widely regarded but my site started out on a free host and we still use phpBB for the forum.

I've been waiting for the right thing to come along before upgrading and I think I've found it.

A migration script would be absolutely essential though and is a show stopper.

I understand that your priority is to get the core functionality working and presumably you'll be targeting vB forum owners first but after that?

Yeah, I imported my board from phpBB3 --> vB 3.8 --> xenForo, didn't take too long, and there was almost no cleanup to do after. Just had to fix usergroups and permissions.

I also imported from my phpbb 2 board, first to vbulletin, then to xenforo but my users did not have to reset their passwords. They can use the same passwords. So looks like this issue is specific to phpbb 3?

I'm trying to import my phpBB3 forum to XenForo, and it seems like people are saying I need to go through vB as an intermediate, using ImpEx as a bridge between phpBB to vB. I don't have a license for vB. Can someone explain or help me out here?

The big hangup for me is really I'm trying to do a migration and I'm having a problem with moving the image attachments from phpBB to XenForo.

I'm trying to import my phpBB3 forum to XenForo, and it seems like people are saying I need to go through vB as an intermediate, using ImpEx as a bridge between phpBB to vB. I don't have a license for vB. Can someone explain or help me out here?
check out xenfans.com .... good prices and service ... they have vB Impex.
The big hangup for me is really I'm trying to do a migration and I'm having a problem with moving the image attachments from phpBB to XenForo.
image attachments can be tough.

Check your PMs.

I've done a fresh import for you from phpBB to vB and then to XenForo.

All of the attachments have been uploaded to your server, along with a dump of the XenForo DB.

I'm not sure why it didn't work the first time - all I did was follow the standard procedure and it worked.

I have a small community (200000 posts) to migrate from phpBB to XenForo but I don't have any vB license. Any suggestions? I'm thinking to migrate from phpBB to punBB and then to XenForo: what do you think?

The probles is this: many posts have BBcode inside: does XenForo support them?

Using XenForo, when I use bold or italic how the text is formatted by default? HTML?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've tried to edit this post and I don't see any or tag... What should I do with imported posts from phpBB? Should I search&replace all with <b>, with <i> and so on?

There is no punBB to XenForo importer so that won't really help.
The only importers currently are for vB and IPB.

XenForo does support BB Code but you will need an add-on for any non-standard BB Code.

HTML is not supported in posts.

HTML is not supported in posts.

So, which markup language is used by XenForo?

e.g.: when I choose che B on the editor, the highlighted text become bold but when I edit it there are no tags like [BB] or * (textile)... how the choosen styles are stored if not in the text body? The only one I've found is [qvote]...

If you click on the plain text editor link, the
switchmode.png
in the upper right corner of the editor toolbar, you will see the raw BB Code.

The default editor mode is what's known as WYSIWYG and the markup is not visible, other than the effect it has on the content.

Sorry for bumping this, but what are Kier and Mike's priorities at the moment? I'm very aware that I can use Impex to gateway-convert a phpBB forum to XenForo (and I have used vBulletin as a gateway converter in the past), but I'm interested in importing a phpBB forum to XenForo directly to take advantage of the URL Redirections and lack of Password resets.

If their priorities are for something else, then that's absolutely fine.

I took a hit in my Amazon affiliate sales after having converted. But, it seems Google is quickly picking up the new URL structures, so I'm sure things will rebound. (Well, the economy isn't helping either.) I'm more concerned about generating sales since it helps support the server fees and my development time on them.

Top Bottom