Will Xenforo Suite are needs?

tekboi

I'm the leader of a Gaming Clan and we are getting the groundwork started on our website. And we are trying to decide which forum software to go with. We like Xenforo because it admin cp and interface seem intuitive and easy to learn. But we have a few questions that need answers before we make the leap and purchase the license.

We already have a community of 400+ members that is hosted on a free forum (ProBoards). We would like to be sure that we could achieve the same things with Xenforo. Such as:

-Like button for post
-@mention feature
-Special Name Colors for certain users.
-Current Users Online
-Users Online Today
-Quote Multiple People

We would also like to see if it was possible to implement some of these features via Mods or Hacks.

-Integration with Joomla ( we use joomla as our CMS currently)
-Shoutbox or Chatroom... or both
-Facebook like profile (wall, status updates etc...)
-Have first post show up on all pages in a thread
-Have Sub-Forums or Categories on different pages or tabs

None of these are an issue (see my notes):
-Like button for post - Yes
-@mention feature - Yes
-Special Name Colors for certain users. - Yes
-Current Users Online - Yes
-Users Online Today - Requires an add-on (Exists in the resource manager for $5)
-Quote Multiple People - Yes

This is where you may have problems:
-Integration with Joomla ( we use joomla as our CMS currently) I'm not currently aware of any add-ons that provide this.
-Shoutbox or Chatroom... or both There is a very good add-on available by @Luke Foreman
-Facebook like profile (wall, status updates etc...) - Yes
-Have first post show up on all pages in a thread - This will require an add-on. I believe one might exists already.
-Have Sub-Forums or Categories on different pages or tabs Categories can have their own page, as can sub forums. There's also an add-on that provides a tab layout to the forum list.

I converted my units forums over to xF and haven't looked back. @Chris D has answered all your questions already. I will be looking in to making something to bridge joomla <--> xF when I get home on days off. If there is anything specific other than what is mentioned here in relation to using it for a gaming unit feel free to send me a message.

I am considering making the switch to Wordpress. After some research, it seems I can achieve the same things such leader boards and clan battles with wordpress and various plugins. Plus, I already have two websites that I run using wordpress. So, I am much more knowledgeable about the framework. The only think I dislike when it comes to WP is how big of a target it is for hackers. I've had my wordpress sites hacked twice withing two years. And I don't like the lack of support from the wordpress support forum. I understand that it's a free software, but when I run into an issue, it usually takes days to get a response from them. If I even get one...

Top Bottom