Will XenForo run well on a 512VPS?

Gregory Lynn

I recently downsized from a 1GB Wiredtree VPS to a shared hosting account with HostGator. Because my wife is complaining about me spending all that money on a VPS and my website is slow right now.

But the shared hosting is not working out so well, I can get a 512MB VPS from Linode for $19.99 per month. And I know Linux like the back of my hand. Will a 512MB VPS be enough for Xenforo, if not whats the minimum amount of ram that I should go with?

Greg

I recently downsized from a 1GB Wiredtree VPS to a shared hosting account with HostGator. Because my wife is complaining about me spending all that money on a VPS and my website is slow right now.

But the shared hosting is not working out so well, I can get a 512MB VPS from Linode for $19.99 per month. And I know Linux like the back of my hand. Will a 512MB VPS be enough for Xenforo, if not whats the minimum amount of ram that I should go with?

Greg
XenForo will most likely start up, and work. PHP does not need that much RAM and might happily work even with a 64Mb limit per process. Question is, how much traffic are you expecting? I would not foresee more than 10-20 concurrent happy users with that setup and that counts guests. Other than that you would start perceiving the site as slow.

This is just some numbers from experience, of course, it could be different depending on the users being actively browsing the site or more like idle lurkers that click once every 5 minutes.

As long as you run nginx+php-fpm and can tweak mysql decently, 512MB is more than enough for a pretty large forum :) (limited only by how much CPU and IO the VPS provider will let you have; theoretically 200+ concurrent)

XenForo will most likely start up, and work. PHP does not need that much RAM and might happily work even with a 64Mb limit per process. Question is, how much traffic are you expecting? I would not foresee more than 10-20 concurrent happy users with that setup and that counts guests. Other than that you would start perceiving the site as slow.

This is just some numbers from experience, of course, it could be different depending on the users being actively browsing the site or more like idle lurkers that click once every 5 minutes.
How many users will 768MB of ram get me? Because my website usually has 8~12 guests on it at all times?

I am running ours on a 512 Webspace with ~ 80 User/Day. Runs fine

On a healthy server that is properly configured 512 is plenty especially if your only running one site on it.

I have never tried linode but I have tried pretty much every package at this point with hostgator.

These are some I have grabbed for other people I host for on one of my 'other people accounts'..
ggssshjhgjghgf.webp
The Level 4 vps package is the smallest on this account and it hosts 16 domains one being a video sharing site like a youtubish clone site just to give you some perspective on what we are talking about here.

A level 2 vps from hostgator would work for you or equivalent from a solid host.

I've got a Linode 512 and I love it! I'm running a forum (IPB) and CMS (Wordpress) on it and it runs really well.

My forum is nothing spectacular but busy enough (165k+ posts, 4k members) and I have no issues whatsoever. I'm running Lighttpd.

How many users will 768MB of ram get me? Because my website usually has 8~12 guests on it at all times?
a linode 512 running xf will easily handle 50+ simultaneous users without breaking a sweat.
start with the 512. if you need more, linode makes it easy to move up to 768 later if you need to (you wont need to for a long time)

What I don't get is how is your site, of all things slow? What's eating up so much CPU space when things are fine with me and such?
I have no idea , it must be a lot of people on the website at one. I am starting to get a lot of traffic now and people are looking at lots of pages. :cool:

P.S. I now have a 1GB VPS from Wiredtree + Litespeed = 4 second loading time. I will never go back to shared hosting!

How many add--ons do you use?
Too many add-ons can also be resource hungry (specially the bad coded)

How many add--ons do you use?
Too many add-ons can also be resource hungry (specially the bad coded)
I have 20 add-ons and 2 of them are disabled right now. I just disabled the the minimum word count mod today.

P.S. I would not doubt all of those add-ons are causing problems with shared hosting. But they work fine on the VPS, the VPS is not even breaking a sweat.

I have no idea , it must be a lot of people on the website at one. I am starting to get a lot of traffic now and people are looking at lots of pages. :cool:

P.S. I now have a 1GB VPS from Wiredtree + Litespeed = 4 second loading time. I will never go back to shared hosting!

Still, even a shared server should be more than enough to handle 50+ guests/members at a time.

Still, even a shared server should be more than enough to handle 50+ guests/members at a time.
Does depend on who you are using, they might oversell which would lead me to believe that you would never get 50 online at any one time without the server crashing, on the other hand you could have a great host who's server would easily be able to handle 50 on at a time :).

Well I don't know what to tell you , they CPU throttled the forum 3 out of 4 days that I was hosting with them. My forum is young I can not afford to have it CPU throttled daily.

Top Bottom