Will the resource manager easily enable Paid hacks?

Rigel Kentaurus

I am just wondering if the resource manager will integrate with Paypal to enable the authors to distribute their hacks as a paid option.

Right now I think the authors have to set up a cart on their site, or either accept the paypal payments and then send the mod through email .. it is annoying at least. And since there is already some Paypal functionality in xF for user upgrades ....

First version on here won't which is really disappointing. I can see a big drop in sales and due to that a drop in releases.

I am just wondering if the resource manager will integrate with Paypal to enable the authors to distribute their hacks as a paid option.

Right now I think the authors have to set up a cart on their site, or either accept the paypal payments and then send the mod through email .. it is annoying at least. And since there is already some Paypal functionality in xF for user upgrades ....
I much rather have a cart setup for sales on my own site as I would have greater control over things.

I agree with the above but this doesn't mean the paid add-ons will be on the manager. I want to be able to link from XenForo -> My Site with the resource manager. What would be sweet is if the link sent POST data of the username so we can pre-fill any forms if needed.

If true, that's really bad, it means people wouldn't be able to release paid hacks in here
I guess there are complications but paid addons seems like a common use case

It's also about the customers experience. Right now, if I want a paid addon, I have to leave the XenForo website, register somewhere else, buy it .. it would be a lot easier to just click on "buy" on XenForo itself and that's it

First version on here won't which is really disappointing. I can see a big drop in sales and due to that a drop in releases.
People don't release paid add-ons here, they advertise them. They're released on their own sites. I don't see the resource manager stopping this. If you have to upload an attachment for the resource manager to allow you to publish your mod, you just upload a text file with details on where to purchase. It'd be exactly the same as the paid add-ons now.

For a first release, not incorporating paid add-ons into the resource manager isn't that bad, really.

People don't release paid add-ons here, they advertise them. They're released on their own sites. I don't see the resource manager stopping this. If you have to upload an attachment for the resource manager to allow you to publish your mod, you just upload a text file with details on where to purchase. It'd be exactly the same as the paid add-ons now.

For a first release, not incorporating paid add-ons into the resource manager isn't that bad, really.
Well, truth be told, I expect this to go the way the blogs, and project manager went with vB... the first release is the only serious release there will be. After that only minor bug fixes and the developers move to the new thing that is exciting to them.

Well, truth be told, I expect this to go the way the blogs, and project manager went with vB... the first release is the only serious release there will be. After that only minor bug fixes and the developers move to the new thing that is exciting to them.
It could... but I'm not sure. They seem pretty excited about it (here). It isn't something that's going to be continually improved I'd imagine, as it's not really something that needs constant improving. Perhaps it'll be bugfixes and maintenance, but it'll definitely have improvements made to it.

And then again, even if the developers don't improve it, I'm sure add-on authors will.

What evidence do you have to back that up? Everything the team have announced they have improved on and shown commitment to. First, the forums, second the Big Board Search, they want to release it here first and will enhance it with suggestions from those that will use it and want to evolve it.

Never have they shown a desire not to listen when dealing with enhancements to their product.

It could... but I'm not sure. They seem pretty excited about it (here). It isn't something that's going to be continually improved I'd imagine, as it's not really something that needs constant improving. Perhaps it'll be bugfixes and maintenance, but it'll definitely have improvements made to it.

And then again, even if the developers don't improve it, I'm sure add-on authors will.
The thing is that... some people are saying .. "This is ok for a first version", as if there was going to be a second one, improved with a lot new features. That might not be the case. Could, maybe. Perhaps. If history is an indicator, then probably not.

So .. I am assuming the first version is all there's going to be (a valid assumption that leads me to make decisions without over expecting from the developers and nullifies the chances of me being disappointed in the future).

From what I can see in the screen shot...
Resource ratings (with stars)
Versioning, maybe

The rest, is just fluff. A new cute display over what we already have. We can already upload attachments and pictures. We can already have a thread discussing the addon. I can already search for all threads for a user in a particular forum (the addon releases).

It is good to have things organized, in their proper place, but it's hardly ground breaking. The paid addon integration would be, though. It takes the resource manager into an app store. People can use it as a simple cart if they want.

I haven't tried myself, I don't know how hard it is to instead of "download" start a paypal transaction to the author's email that once completed downloads the file (and the file remains available for the user). It might be too many technical complications (or legal, or whatever). I don't know.

Not to demerit the resource manager, but right now, I see it as a glorified way of downloading attachments.

So which websites actually facilitate what you're looking for? From a commercial perspective, the XenForo site acting as an intermediary could be difficult, or a royal PITA. Some would then expect the RM to expand further and allow licensing options and along with that, the kitchen sink.

The thing is that... some people are saying .. "This is ok for a first version", as if there was going to be a second one, improved with a lot new features. That might not be the case. Could, maybe. Perhaps. If history is an indicator, then probably not.

So .. I am assuming the first version is all there's going to be (a valid assumption that leads me to make decisions without over expecting from the developers and nullifies the chances of me being disappointed in the future).

From what I can see in the screen shot...
Resource ratings (with stars)
Versioning, maybe

The rest, is just fluff. A new cute display over what we already have. We can already upload attachments and pictures. We can already have a thread discussing the addon. I can already search for all threads for a user in a particular forum (the addon releases).

It is good to have things organized, in their proper place, but it's hardly ground breaking. The paid addon integration would be, though. It takes the resource manager into an app store. People can use it as a simple cart if they want.

I haven't tried myself, I don't know how hard it is to instead of "download" start a paypal transaction to the author's email that once completed downloads the file (and the file remains available for the user). It might be too many technical complications (or legal, or whatever). I don't know.

Not to demerit the resource manager, but right now, I see it as a glorified way of downloading attachments.
They've stated there will be a second version, but that they'll be releasing a version specifically for XenForo first.

The actual add-on that is able to be purchased will come sometime later, and that will likely be updated to offer more features.

Some would then expect the RM to expand further and allow licensing options and along with that, the kitchen sink.
Reading RM threads here I got an impression people want it to be Download Manager + Projects + Shopping Cart.

I think paying with PayPal for addons is an essential ingredient in taking xenforo to the next level.
So far Xenforo is the best forum. High quality, Supported addons should be a major priority. Replicating vBorg would be a suboptimal plan.

I'm waiting for the RM to see what KAMBJ have planned.

I suppose for developers like myself and Robbo who are trying to make quality addons to not only service the community but to also build a business, this is important. XenForo is a wonderful product, but the organization of resources is really annoying. I can picture anyone looking for an addon being frustrated because it's just like any other forum, a bunch of threads. When I think of the resource manager I think of an organized exposure for all addons from top rated to recently updated.

For paid addons it would be great to be a part of this. While I handle payment through my own site and support through my own site, XenForo is really the only source of advertising. Marketing elsewhere at this time is essentially useless and being able to give our paid addons proper exposure through this system is key to future development.

It would be great to specify your addon as "paid" and simply add a link to your cart/web site. Sounds easy, but I'm sure it's much more complicated than that. Luckily for us we have a free version of our addon and we will still have our addon included, but what if we didn't? Equality and attracting premium developers will definitely help XenForo in the long-run. If it's not available release one, cool. But just so K&M understand its appeal to guys like us is important :).

Top Bottom