Fixed Widget: New threads

cimad

Affected version
I have a rare problem with the Widget: New threads.

Steps to reproduce it:
  • Activate Widget: New threads in "Forum List: Sidebar"
  • Maxium Entries: 5 (unchecked another)
  • Display Style: Simple (unchecked another)
  • Forum Limit: All forum (unchecked another)

And now, assuming I have more than 5 threads created in the forum....

If the last 5 threads are visible to everyone, they appear without problem.

But if any of the last 5 threads created is not visible to any group, the list starts to show less threads for groups that do not have permissions, instead of showing the last 5 threads for those users.

I think it should work like the New posts widget, which shows the correct number of post that certain groups can see according to the permissions.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Regards

Last edited:
I am unable to replicate this on a test site. Please disable all addons and try viewing on a unmodified default style with a different browser.

I am unable to replicate this on a test site. Please disable all addons and try viewing on a unmodified default style with a different browser.

I disable all addons, and have the same result.

And i try with Chrome 68 (desktop and mobile) and firefox and have the same result.

Yes, is strange, and dont have any template mod. Only a small extra.less

I have tried a bit in the XenForo demo and I have not been able to reproduce it.

I will try a test installation on my site in case it was some configuration of some options, but it will take a few days.

Yes, is strange, and dont have any template mod. Only a small extra.less

I have tried a bit in the XenForo demo and I have not been able to reproduce it.

I will try a test installation on my site in case it was some configuration of some options, but it will take a few days.

Hopefully you track down the cause.

Hello again

I have made a copy of the database and I have been testing on it.

I uninstalled all the add-ons, I reset the templates, I made a "Rebuild Master Data" and everything was the same.

However, in a new installation it works well, so I think that somewhere there is something corrupt but I do not give with it. I tried to reupload the files, but the problem persist.

I do not think it's a bug from XenForo, but the truth is that I do not know where to start with this strange error.

Regards

If the last 5 threads are visible to everyone, they appear without problem.

But if any of the last 5 threads created is not visible to any group, the list starts to show less threads for groups that do not have permissions, instead of showing the last 5 threads for those users.
It wouldn’t actually be the last 5, it would be the last 10.

We fetch double the desired number of threads, so, 10 in your case.

We then filter out any the visiting user can’t see.

If 8 out of those last 10 posts are in the private forum, other users will probably only see 2, instead of 5.

If that makes sense...

So it’s kind of expected.

It wouldn’t actually be the last 5, it would be the last 10.

We fetch double the desired number of threads, so, 10 in your case.

We then filter out any the visiting user can’t see.

If 8 out of those last 10 posts are in the private forum, other users will probably only see 2, instead of 5.

If that makes sense...

So it’s kind of expected.

Is it done like that for performance reasons?

I'm sorry @Chris D , I've mixed threads with messages.

In my case, the "New post widget" always shows the last 5 messages according to the permissions, but it always shows 5.

In contrast, the "New thread widget" shows the last 5 thread as long as users have the permissions to see those threads. The problem is that if I create a new thread in a private area, users don't see the last 5 threads, and they would see 4, and so on.

I have tried to replicate it, and I only can replicate with a copy of the database.

In a clean installation or in XenForo demo, I could not replicate it.

So I do not see the sense that in some places I can, and in others I can't, so it's probably not a XenForo bug, but it might be from some configuration that I do not see or something corrupted.

Regards

A little clarification in case I do not explain myself well.

Here is the view as a guest. As you can see, there are 9 threads but only 3 are shown in the widget, so i think this is not correct, must appear 5. All threads are normal, so no closed, stick, o similar.

guest_view.webp

When I connect, in this case as admin (but I think it's irrelevant), more messages appear in the "private" forum widget

admin_view.webp

With this I want to say that I think that in this case, 5 threads should always appear in the widget, but for some reason, it does not happen.

Regards.

Thank you for reporting this issue. The issue is now resolved and we are aiming to include that in a future XF release (2.0.12).

Change log:
Fetch more threads for new threads widget
Any changes made as a result of this issue being resolved may not be rolled out here until later.

Top Bottom