Why Not?

seojoseph

Why not offer a discount to people with valid licenses on other software like IPB or vB - you can create a landing page where they give you the license key, you run a check, and they get a discount for buying. Maybe you can't because of the lawsuit - but you could maybe not even say in the landing page or email to specify where they are coming from. You can just run the license check in a loop.

Then you run a email campaign with all the users here who do not have a license in the https://xenforo.com/customers/ and you run a week campaign.

Again, you're only emailing people who don't already have a license, I imagine that could get you 80 new sign-ups easily. That helps the ecosystem for add on developers, and your bottom line.

So if you offered a $20 discount - thats $9600 for 80 people. Could be more signups.. Whats your conversion rate for people who buy add ons or resources?

anyways. just a thought.

@seojoseph: Sorry, if I disagree. Paying 20$ more or less, would be the least of all drawbacks, when I consider a migration. Kier and Mike provide an excellent software, which is worth every penny, they charge.

My reason to hesitate with the switch from vB to xF never was the price, but the fear of problems with the import of data (thanks @Slavik for help :)). We were very close to migrate to xF shortly before IB announced vB5. It were 2 things, that let us hesitate at this time: The lawsuit and a faint hope, updating from vB4 to vB5 could be easier than a migration vB to xF.

But than I remembered the extreme problems, IB gave us with the update vB3 to vB4... and Kier and Mike won that stupid lawsuit. :)

This is, why we decided to migrate now... and we even would pay 20$ more ;)

..and we're not talking about if its underpriced or not. The value is there - the goal is to create a good optimization funnel to bring those people in and this is just an idea. I don't know - I only run the marketing department of a multi million dollar company and know a thing or two about conversions. :)

We all know that Xenforo well supported and better product.

Last edited:
I only run the marketing department of a multi million dollar company and know a thing or two about conversions. :)

You might be right for that scale, but XenForo surely is no "multi million dollar company". ;)

Besides that, I think, they sell pretty good atm... if you consider sales of forum-software.

Maybe a discount-campaign would be the right idea for vB5... :D

Let me add a word of John Ruskin, a British philanthropist:

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”​

Honestly this is a great business plan to get more established forums on board. Unfortunately the price was already too low from the outset. What would have been better is a $160 regular price discounted to $140 for convertees :P

Well it's not really my business because of just that...it is literally not my business...but if you want to find the happy median...raise the normal price because the software is clearly worth more than 140 bucks and with that any possible promotional tools used won't eat into the original assessment of things giving lot's of other channels for influx a bit of room for play.

Don't really have a horse in this race though as only a very small number of people do.

I need coffee...

Top Bottom