Why need to rebuild index so frequently?

Mr Lucky

Version 2.1.4 (no prefix for that!

A couple of weeks ago the search stopped working altogether, ie no search results.

Rebuilding the index solved it.

But then again yesterday, it would not find results for specific thread title. Again a rebuild it found it.

Is there a reason this should keep happening?

Solution
I wouldn't know about that, all I did was duplicate the site based on the guide, and changed the basic board URL. Would that mean it is still using the same search index as the live site? That may well explain things!
Probably, as the default name for the index is the name of the DB (which is what I can see in Elasticsearch).

If you don't change the index name being used, anything you do on the test site will affect your live search index.
Are you using the same database name for your production and test sites?
No, that wouldn't work would it???
It's the first step in the guide.
No, that is to change the database name, which I obvioiusly did. Nothing about Elastic search hence I mentioned that for those with Enhanced search it would be useful to add it. It's a good guide but is IMO there for people less techy than you or Matt, so I would put that in there as it does seem to have caused this issue IMO.

I have already updated the guide(s).
If you have XFES installed, update the Index name in admin.php?enhanced-search/ to ensure it uses a different index from your live site

I haven't checked but reconfiguring without making changes and saving may also updated the index name to the new database name.

I haven't checked but reconfiguring without making changes and saving may also updated the index name to the new database name.
Yes it did - the database fleld (Index name) was blank when clicking on reconfigure, I just saved and it automatically filled in the name of the dev database. Nice.

Top Bottom