Why is XenForo so expensive

For a person living in US, it's dirt cheap. For abroad, it might be expensive but it pays off. We bacame the second biggest forum in Turkey in 10 years and XenForo plays a big part in that. Our main competitor was founded in 1999 and they are struggling with custom code...

what a mess they've made over there.
Why, what's happened? I've actually got an old license that I'm thinking of renewing to have a play with it again.

Note that while I'm using XF nowadays, that doesn't preclude using other forum software too, free and paid.

Why, what's happened? I've actually got an old license that I'm thinking of renewing to have a play with it again.

Note that while I'm using XF nowadays, that doesn't preclude using other forum software too, free and paid.
They increased prices dramatically and removed free support. All support is either paid (hobby sites can't afford $1250 a year) or through the forum which traditionally was poor.

I may jump ship, but that's a hard choice. I run three hobby sites, one is a million plus posts. Things I need:
  • Forum (obvious)
  • Blogs - one site uses this exclusively over the forum
  • A marketplace, or ways to purchase items
  • An automatic post when a member joins
  • A birthday post, also birthdays posted on a calendar
  • The ability to import info for the above.
Can XenForo do that natively?

They increased prices dramatically and removed free support. All support is either paid (hobby sites can't afford $1250 a year) or through the forum which traditionally was poor.

I may jump ship, but that's a hard choice. I run three hobby sites, one is a million plus posts. Things I need:
  • Forum (obvious)

I am sure that others will reply to this, but I do know that Xenforo will do numbers 1, 4, 5, and 6 natively.

2 is something that I do not know for certain if Xenforo can do this natively, or through an add-on.

3 is done through an add-on. Dragonbytes has a couple of possible add-ons, but to enabling the add-on to send the payments directly to the seller not through the website will probably result in a custom-made add-on. I’m sure if you discuss this with Dragonbyte, you’ll get more definitive answers.

I hope this helps!

Forum (obvious)
Yes we can do that natively 😉

Blogs - one site uses this exclusively over the forum
We don't natively have a blogs system/application in the same way as Invision. But since XF 2.2 we do have the concept of "Forum types". One of our new forum types is the article type.

You can see what that looks like here:

Technically you could have that page as your landing page if desired. If I can see what your existing blogs site looks like I might be able to advise of specifics we can/can't replicate.

A marketplace, or ways to purchase items
We don't support the sale of physical products in any sort of meaningful way, but the framework for "purchasables" and "payment profiles" is part of the core rather than a separate product. If you need more than what we provide via our "user upgrades" system, such as selling physical products or download products you'll need a separate add-on but that add-on is likely using our underlying and robust framework for handling purchases and payments.

An automatic post when a member joins
We don't have a system to do public posts when a member joins, but we do have a concept of "welcome conversations" and "welcome emails".

A birthday post, also birthdays posted on a calendar
We don't have a calendar or anything significant in terms of making a fuss when it's a user's birthday but we do have a list of birthdays in the Members tab and you can place a birthdays widget anywhere you like.

The ability to import info for the above.
We don't have a native importer for any of these things. We probably should at some point implement the ability to import blogs as article threads though.

We don't support the sale of physical products in any sort of meaningful way, but the framework for "purchasables" and "payment profiles" is part of the core rather than a separate product. If you need more than what we provide via our "user upgrades" system, such as selling physical products or download products you'll need a separate add-on but that add-on is likely using our underlying and robust framework for handling purchases and payments.
For this, it's mostly purchasing a premium membership that moves the user into a new group automatically when purchased, and moves them back, when it expires.

For this, it's mostly purchasing a premium membership that moves the user into a new group automatically when purchased, and moves them back, when it expires.
Yeah that's just user upgrades. Has always been built in, since XF 1.x.

The system that powers it became much more flexible in XF 2.0 which has allowed people to create add-ons much more easily to handle payments for physical products or downloads, and classifieds etc. but if you just need premium memberships, then the built-in user upgrades should be fine.

• Forum (obvious)
I know for a blog function you can use XenPorta 2 Pro

If you mean to alert admin of a new member, there are a couple of addons that will send admin an email
Thanks, we use them as welcome emails. It's not native to IPS, it's an add on. When a member joins, a new post is made, I can configure what forum it's posted in and what the content of the welcome message is. It also sends them a PM and an email.

I know for a blog function you can use XenPorta 2 Pro
Yes there are add-ons that provide portals and blogs but I think the key word there was "natively" and, actually, I'd argue we do have that functionality natively.

Thank you, this is my smallest site, they only like the blog function.
My hunch is, as far as I can tell, article forums would be a good fit here. We don't have "categories" but we do have prefixes which would be a good equivalent as far as I can tell.

Just to help you visualise, I've copied a couple of your current blogs over to a demo instance:

Thanks, we use them as welcome emails. It's not native to IPS, it's an add on. When a member joins, a new post is made, I can configure what forum it's posted in and what the content of the welcome message is. It also sends them a PM and an email.
So we have it natively except the public forum post. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's an add-on for that. An add-on developer would find it trivial to do so, if not.

That's the tricky bit. No, it doesn't look like we've addressed that, yet. Currently our importer wouldn't touch blogs but I think it would be wise for us to do so.

If you're able to furnish us with a copy of your database it might be something we can work on.

• Forum (obvious)
That sounds horrendous, especially as they're giving nothing back. Good for me to know if I'm to ever reactivate my licence.

I see you've had some great replies to your bullet points from Chris, much better than I could do. 🙂

Come to the XF side, you won't be disappointed. :cool:

That's the tricky bit. No, it doesn't look like we've addressed that, yet. Currently our importer wouldn't touch blogs but I think it would be wise for us to do so.

If you're able to furnish us with a copy of your database it might be something we can work on.
Hi Chris,

Sure, I can do that. That's my small site, and the only one I'd be likely to use the Blog feature on. Send me a PM on how you'd like to receive the file(s). Please keep in mind, that while I greatly appreciate your help, I haven't decided to move yet. :)
That sounds horrendous, especially as they're giving nothing back. Good for me to know if I'm to ever reactivate my licence.

I see you've had some great replies to your bullet points from Chris, much better than I could do. 🙂

Come to the XF side, you won't be disappointed. :cool:
:) My first paid forum was vB, so I am familiar with these guys and like them a lot.

When ready new posts in IPS (Streams), I open the Stream, click the first unread thread, it brings me to the first unread post in that thread, I scroll to the bottom of the page and there is a next unread topic link. Is there similar functionality here?

Top Bottom