Why is the copyright statement still improperly formatted?

BoardBoss

At the bottom of every page is this: Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2017 XenForo Ltd. Why is there not a space between '©' and '2010'? This may seem trivial, but it makes sites look amateurish. The proper formatting includes a space after ©, (c), Copyright or Copr., whichever is used. This document explains it in detail: https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ03.pdf

I have been using forum software for close to 14 years now (vBulletin being the majority of those years), and vB3 also commits this offence (if the footer over @ vBulletin.org is to be believed).

This is the first time I have ever heard of this being an issue.

Beyond that, don't you think it's a bit rude to call it "amateurish" when you would appear to be the only person in the entire forum software scene who cares about this?

Fillip

I have been using forum software for close to 14 years now (vBulletin being the majority of those years), and vB3 also commits this offence (if the footer over @ vBulletin.org is to be believed).

This is the first time I have ever heard of this being an issue.

Beyond that, don't you think it's a bit rude to call it "amateurish" when you would appear to be the only person in the entire forum software scene who cares about this?

Fillip

I quit using vBulletin in 2009 due to their various problems after using them for a number of years. To answer your question, no, I do not consider grammatically incorrect software (especially PAID software) making my site look amateurish "rude". The team should fix this simple mistake and make it look correct.

If they had used this "Copyright2017" maybe it would be more obvious. Maybe others accept mediocrity; I try to avoid it whenever possible. If you are willing to accept mistakes, regardless of how small, then you are free to do so. I don't think it is out of line to ask that the software be as clean as possible in every way.

Nothing in this world is perfect. You can buy a $200,000 car and if you look hard enough there is going to be a flaw. No sense in going through life knit picking everything little thing to death. First it’s version numbers showing now it’s no spacing between the copyright symbol and the year. What’s next the fact it says 2017 and not 2018 considering we are in 2018 now?

What’s next the fact it says 2017 and not 2018 considering we are in 2018 now?
Seven hells, you're right! I can't believe we're being asked to pay $140 then $40 a year for a software that doesn't even know what year it is. It couldn't be more obvious, it's right there in the footer for all to see. Everyone visiting our sites are going to think we don't even know what the current year is, and we'll all be made to look like fools!

I request, nay DEMAND that the XF team fix this egregious mistake post-haste. The fact that they've left it over 72 hours is quite frankly unacceptable.

Fillip

Hilarious, but pointless posts. If that is how they want their site to appear, that is a personal preference and decision. It should be an easy fix, as it is in most solutions, although I haven't looked into changing it yet.

Since you seem to have most of the answers, is there an easy way to change the footer so that PHP can be used to keep the year current? Or must it be manually edited every year?

Has to be manually updated every year and all you have to do if you are that particular is edit the phrase to put that space in there.

i dont know why you even answer on this thread, i never read stupidest statement for not using Xenforo!

Perhaps it's past 5:00 for you, but I never said it is a reason not to use XenForo. Why would you waste anyone's time posting something so ridiculous?

Since you seem to have most of the answers, is there an easy way to change the footer so that PHP can be used to keep the year current? Or must it be manually edited every year?

Easy to change, sure, but against their terms. I doubt they'd take action on something so trivial, but I'm sure the next XF update will have the correct year anyways :)

Has to be manually updated every year and all you have to do if you are that particular is edit the phrase to put that space in there.

No phrase, it's coming from a PHP function

Thank you for the the first reasonably intelligent reply on this post. Do you know if editing this phrase counts as modifying the required copyright info?

As per the terms of the license, the copyright text cannot be modified unless the branding removal option has been purchased.

The year will be updated for the next release.

Easy to change, sure, but against their terms. I don't they'd take action on something so trivial, but I'm sure the next XF update will have the correct year anyways :)

No phrase, it's coming from a PHP function

One would certainly hope so. Thank you again. :)

It's a phrase and a easy change.

However this question comes up EVERY year and the official answer is that it's correct as it is. The copyright relates to the software code. 2017 is still the correct year until they release an update to the software in 2018. When they do, that date will change to 2018.

As per the terms of the license, the copyright text cannot be modified unless the branding removal option has been purchased.

The year will be updated for the next release.

So it would be against the terms of the license agreement to properly format the copyright notice by adding a space after the copyright symbol? If so, any chance that could be addressed in the next version?

It's a phrase and a easy change.

However this question comes up EVERY year and the official answer is that it's correct as it is. The copyright relates to the software code. 2017 is still the correct year until they release an update to the software in 2018. When they do, that date will change to 2018.

To be clear, my original post had nothing to do with the year. It regarded the non-standard formatting due to the lack of a space following the copyright symbol.

To be clear, my original post had nothing to do with the year. It regarded the non-standard formatting due to the lack of a space following the copyright symbol.

Yep, I can read, thanks. That's why I quoted your new question and answered that directly.

Yep, I can read, thanks. That's why I quoted your new question and answered that directly.

That reply was more for the benefit of one or more other parties to this post. :)

In a perfect world, XenForo should either allow PHP to keep the year current, or make the original copyright year static. IMHO, there should also be a 'rights statement' as well, although that is just my opinion. If the XenForo team doesn't wish to additionally protect their rights, that is up to them.

So it would be against the terms of the license agreement to properly format the copyright notice by adding a space after the copyright symbol? If so, any chance that could be addressed in the next version?
Strictly speaking, yes (as the terms specifically say unaltered) -- though as is really the terms of any license, it's always "without agreement from the license holder".

I have just changed this as part of the year change though.

Top Bottom