1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Why is my WHM backup SO BIG!

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by NeoCHI, Jul 26, 2014.

1. NeoCHI

NeoCHI Active Member

So recently I setup a weekly backup of my site in WHM but I've realized they're HUGE...I just want to know if this is normal and what I can do to make it smaller cause I can't even scp locally at this size.

Here's some stats of my forum:

~30k members
    ~1 million posts
    ~100k threads

This is the only site on my dedicated server and the complete backup tar file is 11G!

Here's some settings I have set for my backup that might make a difference:

Backup Bandwidth Data - enabled
    Backup Bandwidth Data - enabled
    Backup SQL Databases - Per Account Only

Is this size normal? What can I do to lower the size but would still allow me to restore my site if anything happens.
  2. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

My database alone is 15 gig :)

So yes this seems normal, you are backing files also with WHM.
  3. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Always make just a dump of your database too. If in the event MySQL times out "goes away" during the backup, WHM sees it as completed and will save it that way leaving you to find a incomplete database in the event of a restore.
    Shyuan and Tracy Perry like this.
  4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

A simple cron job with a script works wonders and is usually much more reliable than a web based backup interface (as @Mike Edge correctly pointed out).
    The Forum Heroes likes this.
  5. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Something is very wrong as your database backup should be about 600MB uncompressed.

Do you have SSH access on your server? If so, you should be using mysqldump to backup your database.
  6. x3sphere

x3sphere Active Member

I agree on using mysqldump. My database size is ~40GB and I have no problems backing it up.

That said, 11 GB for a forum with 1 million posts doesn't seem normal to me. Did you run a different forum system on it prior to XF? vB used to store attachments in the DB by default.
  7. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

Don't forget to put your site in maintenance mode before dumping database.
    MQK8 and Shyuan like this.
  8. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

That is not required when using mysqldump.
    0ptima likes this.
  9. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

I like to play safe. :D
  10. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Closing your forum to use mysqldump is not safer. The mysqldump function automatically prevents any database operations while performing a backup.
    0ptima and toodlez like this.
  11. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Just a note: the WHM backup not only contains the database - maybe the users on his site use attachments heavily?

@NeoCHI, another thing to check in WHM is if you use backup retention, e.g. keep several daily/weekly/monthly backups
    AndyB likes this.