Why is everyone fussing about 1.2, isn't Xenforo already great

tenants

I don't normally jump into the frying pan (its not really my territory), but I have seen a lot of people posting that seem to be getting "upset"

Complaining that 1.2 isn't coming as soon as you want it (and that you might look for alternatives if it doesn't come soon) seems a bit strange when XF is clearly already a market leader...

To me, it sounds like the delaying/bullying tactics from the legal accusations is working ... But when I look around at the other forums types, the core of Xenforo is by far a much better product. And due to the way it's designed, its so much easier to take forward with plug-ins, this to me seems the reason that others are attempting (and seem to be succeeding) in slowing the progression of Xenforo.

People always come and go from companies (it's sad when it happens, but the product remains) and we're all looking forward to the much anticipated resource manager becoming available (although, it's not something I personally need),
... but doesn't Xenforo Already shine above the rest?

Even if there was no XF 1.2, I'd still be much happier designing plug-ins for the current version of XF rather than using any other forum software.
... pushing and shoving the Dev team (demanding the new release) at a highly stressed time isn't going to achieve anything positive. I can wait, in fact... it doesn't stop the progression of plug-ins ;)

That's just my personal opinion, but looking around, it doesn't seem to align with many others here.. I'm just wondering why (there's no need to get emotional and give me an ear bashing, I might just be naive and not fully understand ;) )

So why are people getting so worked up about the release date of 1.2 ?

I can't see why it wont be supported. People come and go, I'm sure someone will come along soon and help out (and there are plenty of others that continue to give support)...

As for the new release, it's obviously going to be a bit delayed (I would be shocked if it wasn't delayed!)... The bullies are taking all of the work/play time away from the dev team, yet XenForo still shines above the rest

i am eager for 1.2 because it will supposedly come with an integrated mobile solution. i am also hopeful for other things that may not have been announced as, like 'last edited by' notifications and whatnot.

i am eager for 1.2 because it will supposedly come with an integrated mobile solution

Actually, that really does sound good. At some point in the future I was planning to do this as a plug-in (there is already an app plug-in available, but a CSS alternative would be good edit: I've just seen this css plug-in too)

However, it's not something I would necessarily expect from the core (it's great that it might be coming). But not getting this solution soon doesn't put me off of Xenforo, it impresses me that they were planning to put this in core to begin with (I can happily wait patiently while they get bullied, or think about designing a plug-in that would do this... )

Virtually no one is complaining about 1.2 not being ready yet. I expect it towards the end of the summer and would be happy with that.

The problem is that the devs seem to be deliberately avoiding posting anything to reassure people, the only active moderator has quit and we don't know what's going on. Not to mention a huge law suit that could conceivably bankrupt KAM.

It could all be solved with a simple post from KAM but they seem to be deliberately avoiding that for some reason which suggests something is wrong. Why else wouldn't they just calm the situation down?

Actually, that really does sound good. At some point in the future I was planning to do this as a plug-in (there is already an app plug-in available, but a CSS alternative would be good)

However, it's not something I would necessarily expect from the core (it's great that it might be coming). But not getting this solution soon doesn't put me off of Xenforo, it impresses me that they were planning to put this in core to begin with (I can happily wait patiently while they get bullied, or think about designing a plug-in that would do this... )

It also comes with StopForumSpam, which people will tell you suffering from spam registration is a much needed feature.

Virtually no one is complaining about 1.2 not being ready yet. I expect it towards the end of the summer and would be happy with that.

The problem is that the devs seem to be deliberately avoiding posting anything to reassure people, the only active moderator has quit and we don't know what's going on. Not to mention a huge law suit that could conceivably bankrupt KAM.

It could all be solved with a simple post from KAM but they seem to be deliberately avoiding that for some reason which suggests something is wrong. Why else wouldn't they just calm the situation down?
Basically this is what has me concerned. I love XenForo, and I just want to hear that things are progressing. I am looking forward for several things that my community needs.

Because in the end it still does nothing.... When 1.0 was released, people complained about 1.1 taking so long and no word on it, then 1.1 was released, same thing to 1.2.

Kier and Mike have posted about the development of XenForo, that it's still ongoing.

They also stated 1.2 is due 2nd quarter of 2012, it's not even HALF way through Q2 and people are flipping out. Heck people were flipping out the last day of Q1 thinking it would be released the day, and then were disappointed it wasn't.

I'm convinced vB hired some professional trolls to troll on this community hard core ;p.

I see your point, but there is something wrong... they're getting dragged through the courts and having all their time taken away from them (and it's costing them a fair penny)

I doubt they have much time to calm the situation, it surely up to us (those that are around to use the board) to see what it happening & not let this bully boy tack-tick get the better of the communtity

We already have a great product to use, we can also further it with great plug-ins ...

I see your point, but there is something wrong... they're getting dragged through the courts and having all their time taken away from them (and it's costing them a fair penny)

Hmm, they are not going into court everyday you know. :confused:

But there's been a court case from the beginning and they still had time to post.

Even a simple "sorry guys, development is still on track but the court case is taking up a lot of our time so we can't post as much" would be something. Instead the devs seem to be deliberately avoiding posting anything (Kier spending days porting SB but not posting anything on here, Mike online at Brogan's forum more than he is here, etc).

Hmm, they are not going into court everyday you know. :confused:

They kind of are... I get stressed out and lose the plot when trying to develop plug-ins ... after my girlfriend has asked me to do the washing up! Imagine how disorientated I would be if I was summoned to court :S

But there's been a court case from the beginning and they still had time to post.

Even a simple "sorry guys, development is still on track but the court case is taking up a lot of our time so we can't post as much" would be something. Instead the devs seem to be deliberately avoiding posting anything (Kier spending days porting SB but not posting anything on here, Mike online at Brogan's forum more than he is here, etc).

Isn't it quite a small team? I don't know the figures, but I do know their product is growing very quickly, there's lots of demand, lots of people requiring support and lots of their money going straight into law suites (due to the bully boy tack-ticks)

People are worried... but the dev team shouldn't need come on the board and reassure the community frequently. I'd much rather they spent their time ... in a sauna/on a beach.. relaxing from this stressful "unfounded" law suit (and still manage to release the product... roughly on time ;) )

Throwing toys out of the pram should be patiently delayed until after the end of the 2nd quarter,
and even then we should probably appreciate that they're going through a lot right now (yet still manage to pull the best forum software out of the hat ;) )

Mike said this, people then wanted more information. Then they wanted to know why Kier hasn't been around (And speculated that there was a falling out), and when he answered they wanted more information.

It also comes with StopForumSpam, which people will tell you suffering from spam registration is a much needed feature.

This sounds like another should-be plug-in. I've seen some of the stopForumSpam for VB and like any spam prevention mechanism, it will work for a limited time

As soon as a stopforumspam mechanism is provided, and it's provided to a large audience, the benefits of counteracting the prevention mechanism become more rewarding for the spammer/bots.

So the system alters in such a way that the prevention mechanism is overridden (consider this a arms race / a system in equilibrium)

Take artificial neural networks (ANNs) that read captcha images... a mass audience that thought robots couldn't read images, but if there is a big enough audience then the benefits of overcoming
this prevention mechanism are more rewarding. As such, many mechanism solve various types of captcha, making captcha almost useless (often harder for humans than for robots)

The only way to prevent robot-spam is to produce your own customised solution, it's never a one-stop solution that solves everthing when the stopforumspam mechanism is rolled out to a core product that has a huge audience (since this mechanism will then be targeted)

The way forward for this, is surely to have many... multiple.. plug-ins that have various mechanisms of preventing spam (for my old boards, every 12 months or so I have to work on a new custom mechanism to prevent spam)

I'm going off topic and shall stop ;) In summary... surely this is something we can do with plug-ins too

As soon as a stopforumspam mechanism is provided, and it's provided to a large audience, the benefits of counteracting the prevention mechanism become more rewarding for the spammer/bots.

How do you come to that conclusion? That you think if StopForumSpam was there by default for all to use it will be less effective? You've got me stumped, scratching my head over that one.

Top Bottom